ABS on tractors?

/ ABS on tractors? #2  
I saw that too, posted it to some facebook friends. I think it was linked from Messicks? I was amazed at the tremendous forces that are being delt with. Amazing.

/ ABS on tractors? #4  
Having slid sideways in a tractor of that size before I can see where ABS would be very nice when transporting equipment, but brakes on the equipment helps alot too and it didn't looks like the equipment being pulled had brakes.

/ ABS on tractors? #5  
Not being all that familiar with large trailers that tractors might pull I doubt if many of them would have brakes.

/ ABS on tractors? #6  
True enough Treemonkey1000, but there are some that do have them. A quick Google search came up with this for starters:
"Glendale Industries 8,500 imperial gallon 5th wheel manure tanker injection system features flotation of 29 psi and 100,000 lbs off-road suspension on 850/45 B 30-5 Trelleborg tires. It has heavy-duty rims and brakes on all four wheels. The articulated tractor and oscillating trailer pin give it excellent maneuverability on narrow access or through ditches, with a 25 mph road speed."

A trailer that size loaded would be one heck of a load to try to stop without brakes on it! Here's a pic of a tandem setup from a different manufacturer. Talk about weight! I suspect that as time goes on, more and more large trailers of all types will be outfitted with brakes, and even on lighter trailers that don't have them at this time.
15000quad.jpg

/ ABS on tractors? #7  
Thanks Mace that is a whole lotta porta poo and I would want extra brakes on those trailers or you might be up to your neck in..... well you get the picture.. Peewwwww

/ ABS on tractors? #8  
The ABS will be a fundamental part of what makes these tractors safe at the higher speeds..The ABS technology will facilitate braking at high speeds with heavy loads and on bad roads.

/ ABS on tractors? #9  
ABS is a must on every highway trailer above 3500kg axle weight, and it wont take another 20 years before it becomes mandatory on agricultural vehicles capable of speeds over 30km/h too. Luckily they dont sell any trailers over 10 ton without brakes anymore, even operating the brakes by hand, with the external spool valve, is a big safety improvement vs. no brakes at all. I dont have a brake valve on any of the tractors, but when i pull a braked trailer, i just brake by hand, and leave the tractor brakes alone. Its much more effective.

Our old manure tanker, built in 1979, is a 5800 liter model, so weighs 7.5 to 8 ton. None of the trailers from this era had brakes, because of cost.. It does weigh 3, if not 4 times that of a tractor capable of pulling it.

..I just remember my brother making a big U turn in our neighbours corn field (luckily after harvest) when pulling a 16.000 liter truck trailer manure tanker with his Deutz D50 which weighs just about 2000kg... he didnt dare to take the corner when he felt he couldnt slow it down at all with blocking rear wheels, so chose the safe route through neighbours corn field, slowing him down enough to take the corner at a safe speed... The Deutz didnt have an external spool valve, let alone a brake valve, and it was a turntable steered trailer with no drawbar downforce, which makes brakes an absolute must with just ANY tractor pulling it. Even a 10 ton Magnum would swerve with this much weight pushing, with no additional weight on the rear axle..