ac 180 pto leak

/ ac 180 pto leak #1  

ac180

Tractor
allis chalmers 180
I have a '68 Ac 180 diesel with the hydraulic pto. Everything seems to be working ok, except that I have developed a leak that comes out from the pto shaft and drips on the drawbar. I have some manuals for the tractor, but nothing shows me a breakdown of the PTO or how it is removed and what seals are there that I may need to replace. I don't know the history on the tractor except that it has 4380 hours. THe PTO shafter has a "cover" or step above it that looks to be bolted on around the shaft area. I assume my first steps are to remove this and then look for more bolts and remove.

If anyone can tell me or provide a drawing on how to remove and replace seals that would be great. Also, let me know of any pitfalls such as pulling the shaft and having parts fall into the case (I do not have garage space to split the tractor at this time)

THanks for your help.

/ ac 180 pto leak #2  
I'll see if I have a manual that covers a 180 at home.. not sure if I do or not.

In general, many tractor pto shafts have a support bearing right near the end of the pto shaft where it exits the tractor, and an oil seal ahead of that, that is likely visible from the outside , around the pto shaft.

mind you i've never worked on a 180, but this is a usual setup. in some cases you can pull the bearing carrier and repalc ethe bearing and seal and in some cases, if there is no spring retainer that has to be accessed from inside, you can use a seal puller to snatch the seal out the rear and replace.. all depends on the setup.. do always check the bearing when replacing a seal, as bearings wear, they get sloppy, and that makes seals weep.

soundguy