AC one-sixty clutch problems

/ AC one-sixty clutch problems #1  

kevmax1975

Tractor
Allis-Chalmers one-sixty
Hi,
I'm new to the site. So hopefully I'm not in the wrong area :)
I'm not really sure how to explain whats going on, so please forgive my long story.
My father recently inherited an AC one-sixty tractor, last fall we were forced to change the clutch, we did it ourselves and it went pretty smoothly. Started the tractor up and it went right to work.
We put it away for the winter and this spring, we started it up and went to work with it again. We parked the tractor for a week or so and went to use it again and it seemed that the clutch would not fully disengage. After some research on the internet, it seemed to boil down to a "stuck clutch". So, today I got some brake cleaner and "hosed down the whole inside of the bell housing as much as possible while working the clutch pedal. It seemed like that did the trick, but then while holding down the clutch with the tractor in gear, it suddenly jumped forward and would not disengage until we worked the clutch pedal a few times, then did the same thing continuously. We kept working the clutch and shifting and driving around as much as possible to try to free I upt.
While doing all this, I stumbled upon a curious thing, it seems that if I hold the High/low selector hard into the high range (as far back as possible) we don't have any trouble clutching/shifting from 1st through to 4th but 5th and 6th still have issues, as soon as we let go of the high/low selector, we go back to the old issues of the clutch working intermittently.

If anyone has any clue to what the problem may be or where I might look for an answer, I'd greatly appreciate a response.
Thanks in advance!

/ AC one-sixty clutch problems #2  
If a piece of crap from inside the bell housing fell between the pressure plate and the disk (while the clutch was disengaged) it could possibly drive the disc even with the pedal down. The range selector puts a bit of resistance onto the transmission input shaft through the synchronizers. That stops the gears moving and allows you to shift.
It's kind of far fetched but may be what you got. Using the tractor should get rid of the piece. I'm surprised you didn't clean inside the housing when you had the tractor split, so maybe this explanation holds no water. Report back please.
Jim