AC trouble

/ AC trouble #1  

wfphay

I have 36 hours on my 5720, with cab. Cut hay for 2 days in about 85 degree weather. The AC clutch clicks in and out frequently (on for a second, then off for a second) this happens repeatedly. Sometimes the AC would just quit, then after about 3 min, it would come back on. Sometimes it would quit, then I would press the AC button to turn it off, then press it again and it would come back on. The Condensor is clean. The engine radiator is clean and the tractor is not overheating. When it cools, it cools good. It just doesn't stay on all the time.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

dan

/ AC trouble #2  
Your symptoms are indicative of a system low on refrigerant.

There is a pressure switch in the High pressure line that will cut off power to the compressor if pressure gets to low. When the refrigerant quantity gets low, there is just enough freon to cycle through the system causing HIGH and LOW pressures, which causes the pressure switch to constantly cycle the compressor on and off.

With the A/C system running, check for the presence of foamy air bubbles or a fog passing through the view window on the receiver/drier. This will indicate a low freon level.

If you can see fluid with only an occasional bubble then the freon level is OK.

If freon level is good, then check for a bad connection at the pressure switch. Or, the switch could be faulty.

Two other things; but highly unlikely; are a faulty relay or thermostat.

I'll bet you just need to charge the system and try to find a leak in the system.

/ AC trouble #3  
Mine clicks off and on quite a bit too, but the only real trouble I'm having is air flow troubles, can't keep the radiator clean enough. Did find a leak on a circulating hose overhead, under the access plate on top of the cab, was leaking antifreeze. Sidey