Added another Kubota!

/ Added another Kubota! #1  

bsauter

Silver Member
Tractor
L3010 HST
I bought a new ZD28 last week to take over the lawn duties from my L3010. So now I have to Kubota diesels and my wife has agreed to it! I have cut about an hour off my mowing time with the ZD. I have 6 foot decks for both botas. I have only cut once and am still getting the hang of it but it is great fun and much easier to get around all the obstacles in the yard. I finish cut about 4 acres. I could never give up the L3010 and that will be used for bushhogging, manure spreading and everything else around the place.

Attachments

• 35-176699-2botassmall2.jpg
    35-176699-2botassmall2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 163
   / Added another Kubota! #2  
Brad, If envy is a sin, I'm in big trouble!!!

/ Added another Kubota! #4  
Brad,Excellent !!!! We have three Kubotas,they all have a purpose.I've been thinking about trading for a ZD,they just look like an a super mowing machine.

/ Added another Kubota! #5  
Just curious how long it takes you to mow the 4 acres. I mow about 3.5 acres with an L3010 and a MMM in about 80 minutes but I don't have any obstacles to go around. How did you cut your mowing time by an hour?

BTW....I really like the ZD28 myself. Do you mind my asking what they are going for?

/ Added another Kubota! #6  
Brad
Congrat’s on the ZD. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Can you post some comparisons between the 2 mowing machines?

/ Added another Kubota!
I have about 160 trees on my 4 acres that I finish cut. I also have the driveway cutting through that plus the garden, playground, pool, 2 firepits, gates, flower beds, 2 barns, a riding arena, etc, etc.

I really don't have a decent straight shot to really motor down the yard back and forth. That's why I got the ZD. I have cut the yard for 7 years with a couple tractors. I started with a B2150 and MMM and then went to a B2910 briefly and then to the L3010.

The L3010 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be for cutting. I was afraid of the weight and size but as long as a I would remove the loader before cutting it wasn't too bad. I used a 6 foot RFM on it so that added to the length but made a great combo for mowing under all my spruce trees. I had to do A LOT of backing up to trim around trees and get into tight spots. The less time I spend with the trimmer the better! My record cutting time was 1 hour and 40 minutes with really hoofing it and not worrying about getting close to all the trees. Most of the time I can cut in 2 to 2hrs and 30 minutes. But I also had to remove the loader and put on the finish deck before heading out to mow. The loader was only 5 minutes but the hassle factor was there. I just got tired of messing with it every time I mowed. I wanted to hop on the mower and go.

My first time out with the ZD and I cut everything in 1 hr 15 minutes and I was still getting used to the machine! I have really cut down my overlapping and non-productive driving and backing with the ZD. I can now flip right around and zip back up the yard making the nice pretty stripes in the yard that the commercial guys do. I felt much more rested and after mowing with the ZD as I didn't have to work near as hard. The yard looks better and it cuts easier because the blade tip speed is 18,500 for the ZD28 and the 28 horse diesel makes short work of grass cutting.

I also looked at Dixie Chopper, Ex-Mark, Grasshopper and JD. The JD was out quick because they don't have a 6 foot deck yet for it, The DC diesels were nice mowing machines but outdated as far as features and more expensive for what you get. The grasshopper with the 28 horse Kubota engine was about $1500 more than the ZD28. My Kubota dealer also sells Ex-mark and Bunton and they have not sold one Ex-Mark diesel since the ZD21 came out. The Kubota is very comfortable and designed well with the operator in mind. I love the hydraulic lift instead of using your foot to lift the deck with the other brands. For instance, Grasshopper, another fine mower, had the hydro lift avaible for $835 from the factory or $1200 installed at the dealer. Comes with the Kubota.

Would a ZTR be right for everyone? Nope. If I didn't have all the trees and such I wouldn't have bothered. It's a lot of money for something to just mow the lawn with but it sure does make it more fun, less work and has a finer cut. It leaves me with a little extra time to spend with my kids or working on something else.

My L3010 did a fine job cutting and will still be used for everything else around the farm. I will still be cutting the pastures with the rotary deck too. I would not dream of taking the ZD out there. That just something a tractor needs to do. Last night for instance I used the L3010 for loading and spreading manure and dragging the arena and even taking all the trash cans in from the road. If I had to give up one for the other I would choose the tractor over the ZD obviously because you can do so much more with a tractor but if you are inclined to make short work of the grass cutting the ZD is great.

Those are just my initial impressions. If anyone has any other questions I will try to answer them!

Attachments

• 35-177094-botasrearsmall.jpg
    35-177094-botasrearsmall.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 102
   / Added another Kubota! #8  
All those trees sure explains the difference in time to mow your four acres. If I could just convince my wife that we really need one of those ZD28s that would be great. I could mow out back and she could mow the front and we would be finished mowing in about 30 minutes!