Traction Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #31  
I needed more weight in the front on a JD 6403 when using a 350 gallon 3 point herbicide sprayer. Foam filling the front tires ended up being cheaper than equal amount of suitcase weights, plus now I don't have to worry about mesquite thorns.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #32  
To correctly ballast a tractor, do the following: Make a mark on the rear tire and a mark on the ground.. Under full pulling load like a disk/mouldboard/chisel plow you move forward until you've traveled to where the mark on the tire is back centered on the ground. Measure how far you actually went, subtract this distance from the diameter of the tire and then divide the result by the diameter of tire. The tire should slip 10% under full load.

This is correct for a farm tractor pulling a plow all day. I want to be able to pick up heavy stuff with my loader and not get tippy or lose traction. My m59 is 4wd so I don't have the problem getting stuck as much but I used to own a 2wd 95 hp tractor with a cab and loader and when I picked up a full pallet of quickrete (3,360lb) it would get stuck on my perfectly level gravel driveway because the rear end was so light.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #33  
Quote Originally Posted by joeu235 View Post
To correctly ballast a tractor, do the following: Make a mark on the rear tire and a mark on the ground.. Under full pulling load like a disk/mouldboard/chisel plow you move forward until you've traveled to where the mark on the tire is back centered on the ground. Measure how far you actually went, subtract this distance from the diameter of the tire and then divide the result by the diameter of tire. The tire should slip 10% under full load.

Actually I think the above confuses the diameter of the tire with the circumference which is 3.14 times the diameter of the tire (not the rim size the out to out tire height. )
Mark your tire and on solid level ground roll ahead ten revolutions with no load on the tractor. Then move onto the ground your working and pull the load ahead ten revolutions. The loaded distance covered should be 90 percent of the unloaded. Going ten revolutions instead of just one reduces errors in marking revolutions and measurements.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #34  
I would look up the rolling circumference of the tire on the manufacturer's web site for any slip experiments.

Even tread patterns makes a difference, so it is worth finding the specific tire from the specific manufacturer.

Alternatively; roll it with no load, then with full dragged load, subtract, divide, etc.
This would have to be in a straight line with the rear diff locked.

Rinse, repeat as needed.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #35  
I would look up the rolling circumference of the tire on the manufacturer's web site for any slip experiments.

Even tread patterns makes a difference, so it is worth finding the specific tire from the specific manufacturer.

Alternatively; roll it with no load, then with full dragged load, subtract, divide, etc.

Rinse, repeat as needed.

Rather than look it up in a chart get on your driveway and make a mark when your valve stem is straight down. Drive straight until it is down again and then measure the distance between the marks.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #36  

Rinse, repeat as needed.
Is that not exactly what I just said?

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #37  
Ans ~ negative two ... :confused2: