Buying Advice advice needed (1610)

/ advice needed (1610) #1  

floridaboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1610
I need help since I am a poor excuse for a mechanic. I have a 1610 that I have owned for five years. I use it to mow approx 3 1/2 acres.

I recently found that after leaving my tractor inactive for a few days, when starting and then preparing to mow, The right pulling wheel works but the left wheel does not move. The result is that the tractor moves strongly to the left. This results in the turf being torn and me moving in a jerky circle.

I found that if I engaged the clutch several times, The tractor then moved straight ahead as it should. I found that by moving from reverse then forward a couple times straightened out the process as well.

It seems that the left rear is locked up until I work it back and forth. Then it frees up and works until the next time when I have to go through the same process again.

what do you guys think? I have done all my own routine maintenance but that has amounted to adjusting brakes, changing oil, cleaning hydraulic fluid filter etc. I feel I have ten thumbs and a very small brain when faced with serious mechanical problems.

floridaboy

/ advice needed (1610) #2  
mabe brakes rusting up causing that wheel to be locked down??

/ advice needed (1610) #3  
I agree. It really sounds like a brake is hanging and breaks free when you work it back and forth. Maybe moisture.

Mike

/ advice needed (1610) #4  
Open both brakes, clean housing/shoes and lubricate the pivot pin. About an hour a side in the shop, maybe two hours a side for me or you. Simple work, just make darn sure the tractor is supported properly, as you need to remove the wheel.