Advice on breakin

/ Advice on breakin #1  

tomfifield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400
I have been trying not to work my new L3400 HST to hard at first, I have 5 hr.s on it now. What break in advice can you give me.

/ Advice on breakin #2  
Vary the RPM pretty frequently; i.e., don't just run it all day at the same RPM, whether slow or fast. Use it enough to put a load on the engine now and then, whether pulling or mowing or whatever. Otherwise, just go on with your work and don't worry about it. I'm sure the manual says to not run it wide open for the first 50 hours, but wide open is a couple of hundred RPM more than PTO speed. I'll bet if you ask your dealer, he'll tell you to run it the way you intend to use it in the future.

/ Advice on breakin #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Vary the RPM pretty frequently; i.e., don't just run it all day at the same RPM, whether slow or fast. Use it enough to put a load on the engine now and then, whether pulling or mowing or whatever. Otherwise, just go on with your work and don't worry about it. I'm sure the manual says to not run it wide open for the first 50 hours, but wide open is a couple of hundred RPM more than PTO speed. I'll bet if you ask your dealer, he'll tell you to run it the way you intend to use it in the future. )</font>

This is what I've been doing (I'm at 45 hours), with one exception. I do follow the manual and don't "run" it at full RPMs. I do throttle it all the way now and then, and then pull back a few hundred RPMs. I also vary the RPMs alot. I need to, living on a big hill. When I go down, lower RPMs (to save gas too), when I go up, higher RPMs. Also depends on what I am doing. With FEL on, full load, higher RPMs. Sometimes though, I actually turn the throttle down when doing detail work with FEL, to get a slightly slower and more precise response from my FEL.

I do plan to give my BX all she has to offer as much as posslble after hitting the 50 hour mark, though, to test her out good before the warranty is over. (Not a problem testing what it can do where I live).

/ Advice on breakin #4  
After 5 hrs you need to start working the tractor. The rings are chrome faced and it takes heat and pressure to seat them in good. If you have a loader, dig a big hole and fill it back in. If you have a plow or a disc a couple hours at PTO speed followed by a couple hours a few hundred RPM below that speed. Brush hogging a field at PTO speed is good too. Just try and match an hour at PTO speed then an hour 3-500 rpm below that. Once you are at 10 hours, just run it at PTO speed or below as dictated by the job at hand. Do that until your 50 hour point, then enjoy it for the next 8-10,000 hours.

My OPINION is that you should change the oil now to get out any left over casting sand, machining residue or general junk. Others have different opinions. To me, the cost of 3-5 qt of oil is nothing compared to the cost of the engine.

jb

/ Advice on breakin #5  
I don't think it really matters that much. To be safe follow the manual whatever it says. But when I just finished rebuilding a diesel I'd stick it on the dyno for 3 hours. About the first 15 minutes about half load, mainly just checking for leaks and stuff. Then full load burning the paint off the muffler in about 2 minutes (I guess 1000 degrees exhaust temps help). I would rahter run it harder rather than lighter. I don't think they baby a D10 for 50 hours when it gets delivered to a mine.

OK just went and did a little work, after a scan to PDF, then a convert PDF to Word I have this......from my manual..

A few comments here. It says to not operate the tractor at full speed. Nothing about full load. So operate it a 2000rpm and load it as much as you want? Then "Do not run the engine faster than needed. Huh? So what if I need to. then it says not to start quickly or apply the brakes suddenly. I guess we want to break in the brakes? And my favorite...."this is not only for new tractors but ALL tractors". So it seems like a real CYA for them. Do you void the warranty if you rev it up at 49 hours? Anyway enjoy the reading. Rob BTW I agree with the warm up part. But remember warming up doesn't mean just sitting still. A slow/fast idle out to the work area is a light enough load. Plus I really hope all the enternal engine parts get oil on them in less than 5 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

WARMING UP

JUMP STARTING
CAUTION
To avoid personal injury: • Be sure to set the parking brake during warm-up.
For five minutes after engine start-up, allow engine to warm up without applying any load, this is to allow oil to reach every engine part. If load should be applied to the engine without this warm-up period, trouble such as seizure, breakage or premature wear may develop.

Break in section....

OPERATING NEW TRACTOR
How a new tractor is handled and maintained determines the life of the tractor, A new tractor just off the factory production line has been, of course, tested, but the various parts are not accustomed to each other, so care should be taken to operate the tractor for the first 50 hours at a slower speed and avoid excessive work or operation until the various parts become "broken-in." The manner in which the tractor is handled during the "breaking-in." period greatly affects the life of your tractor. Therefore, to obtain the maximum performance and the longest life of the tractor, it is very important to properly break-in your tractor. In handling a new tractor, the following precautions should be observed.
| Do not Operate the Tractor at Full Speed for the First 50 Hours.
• Do not start quickly nor apply the brakes suddenly.
• In winter, operate the tractor after fully warming
up the engine.
• Do not run the engine at speeds faster than
necessary.
• On rough roads, slow down to suitable speeds. Do
not operate the tractor at fast speed.
The above precautions are not limited only to new tractors, but to all tractors. But it should be especially observed in the case of new tractors.
&#9632; Changing Lubricating Oil for New Tractors
The lubricating oil is especially important in the case of a new tractor. The various parts are not "broken-in" and are not accustomed to each other; small metal grit may develop during the operation of the tractor; and this may wear out or damage the parts. Therefore, care should be taken to change the lubricating oil a little earlier than would ordinarily be required.
For further details of change interval hours. {See "MAINTENANCE" Section)

/ Advice on breakin
Thank you for your help, the people at this sit have been very helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif