Advice on Kubota B2400

/ Advice on Kubota B2400 #1  

sw9568

I recently bought a used B2400 HST. Runs great and most features work similar to those on my old Yanmar geared tractor. Love the HST and power steering. But the owner's manual is a little skimpy on details & I would sure welcome advice from anyone who has a similar Kubota:
(1) My light switch has a symbol of a circle with lines radiating out from it which I think might be a position for operating an auxillary light or outlet but the manual says nothing about either of these. And my switch lever won't move to point to this symbol. Is this an aux light or outlet position and where would the aux outlet be located? Does my B2400 have a horn? What is the function of the round, soft "button" in the center of the switch?
(2) The headlights are really weak. Can I increase their brightness by simply replacing the old bulbs with stronger ones?
(3) Can I use some other type of hy-trans fluid other than the listed "Kubota Super UDT", like the multi-grade hy-trans fluid sold at places like Walmart or Advance Auto? That's what I used in my old Yanmar.
(4) The manual describes needed engine RPMs for running the mid and rear PTOs to prescribed speeds, but makes no mention of general RPM range you would likely use for simply driving along the road. Somewhere in the range of 1500-2000 RPMs seems to be what be what my tractor wants for simply traveling. Is this about right?
Thanks, Steve in western NC.

/ Advice on Kubota B2400
I recently bought a used B2400 HST. Runs great and most features work similar to those on my old Yanmar geared tractor. Love the HST and power steering. But the owner's manual is a little skimpy on details & I would sure welcome advice from anyone who has a similar Kubota:
(1) My light switch has a symbol of a circle with lines radiating out from it which I think might be a position for operating an auxillary light or outlet but the manual says nothing about either of these. And my switch lever won't move to point to this symbol. Is this an aux light or outlet position and where would the aux outlet be located? Does my B2400 have a horn? What is the function of the round, soft "button" in the center of the switch?
(2) The headlights are really weak. Can I increase their brightness by simply replacing the old bulbs with stronger ones?
(3) Can I use some other type of hy-trans fluid other than the listed "Kubota Super UDT", like the multi-grade hy-trans fluid sold at places like Walmart or Advance Auto? That's what I used in my old Yanmar.
(4) The manual describes needed engine RPMs for running the mid and rear PTOs to prescribed speeds, but makes no mention of general RPM range you would likely use for simply driving along the road. Somewhere in the range of 1500-2000 RPMs seems to be what be what my tractor wants for simply traveling. Is this about right?
Thanks, Steve in western NC.

/ Advice on Kubota B2400 #3  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
1. My B2910 switch has the same symbol as yours. It only goes to the lights on position. Beat me what the symbol means.
2. You can upgrade to a 50 watt bulb. Auto Zone used to sell them for the Blazer lights. Someone mentioned that they stopped carrying them. I have not checked for myself.
3. I personally use SUDT. It has qualities that make it work well in colder weather. It is a multi-Viscosity oil. UDT and others are not.
4. Unless I am running an attachment that needs PTO speed. I run the tractor at 1500 to 2000 rpms. For loader work I am closer to 2000.

/ Advice on Kubota B2400 #4  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
1. My B2910 switch has the same symbol as yours. It only goes to the lights on position. Beat me what the symbol means.
2. You can upgrade to a 50 watt bulb. Auto Zone used to sell them for the Blazer lights. Someone mentioned that they stopped carrying them. I have not checked for myself.
3. I personally use SUDT. It has qualities that make it work well in colder weather. It is a multi-Viscosity oil. UDT and others are not.
4. Unless I am running an attachment that needs PTO speed. I run the tractor at 1500 to 2000 rpms. For loader work I am closer to 2000.

/ Advice on Kubota B2400 #5  
The light switch is on or off and there is no wiring that I'm aware of for auxiliary light. I made my own and wired it to the hot side of starter( with fuse of course!). I think the factory light switch was taken from a playschool toy and the horn button is just for entertainment! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I bought the Blazer bulbs from autozone and installed them. They provide a slight improvement but just don't make up for a poor headlight design. Sure would like to steal the headlights from my Father-in-Laws JD4115, they are great and provide a considerable amount of light.
Hy-Tran Fluid: I use the SUDT. Yea it's cashy, but the expense is spread out over 300 hrs and I just can't bring myself to risk $1000's for hydrostat repairs if it's not quite what my tractor needs. I guess I'm not a gambler.
Engine speed: I find my B2400 likes 1900 - 2100 rpm's for most things such as FEL and pulling attachments. The only time I run it at rated PTO speed is running my 4ft rotary cutter thru heavy weeds/grass. The extra rpm provides better blade tip speed and seems to leave a little better cut. I've been looking for a 5ft cutter to try and see how it works behind the 2400. I mowed some 3ft tall clover yesterday and I could feel it working the tractor a little harder than usual. This is the only time I've even noticed it's back there.
As a whole I absolutely love my B2400. This was an upgrade from a 16hp B7100 which was an impressive little tractor. If it had power steering I never would have sold it and instead just added an FEL to it.
The only trouble I've had with mine was an oil leak at the front axle pivot. Mine has the Bi-speed turn option and this really complicates any front axle issues. The first time I fixed it, It took three of us 7.5 hrs to change a lousy $1.60 o-ring /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The second time I did it by myself in about 4hrs. I do believe this problem was self induced and not a defect in tractor. I had been at my parents rolling their lawn and for the road home, I placed 400lb roller in bucket. I had also been lazy and left the mower deck on, so now we're talking a considerable amount of weight hanging on the front axle. Then to compound it, there is a rather steep hill which I had to decend on the way home. Tractor was balanced on the front axle with the rear tires not touching ground for approx. 300yds! going down hill. Massive load on front axle and hence a pinched O-ring and resulting oil leak. I strongly recommend not repeating the aforementioned scenario!
Good Luck with your 2400, I know your going to love it and be amazed with all the things they are capable of!!

/ Advice on Kubota B2400 #6  
The light switch is on or off and there is no wiring that I'm aware of for auxiliary light. I made my own and wired it to the hot side of starter( with fuse of course!). I think the factory light switch was taken from a playschool toy and the horn button is just for entertainment! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I bought the Blazer bulbs from autozone and installed them. They provide a slight improvement but just don't make up for a poor headlight design. Sure would like to steal the headlights from my Father-in-Laws JD4115, they are great and provide a considerable amount of light.
Hy-Tran Fluid: I use the SUDT. Yea it's cashy, but the expense is spread out over 300 hrs and I just can't bring myself to risk $1000's for hydrostat repairs if it's not quite what my tractor needs. I guess I'm not a gambler.
Engine speed: I find my B2400 likes 1900 - 2100 rpm's for most things such as FEL and pulling attachments. The only time I run it at rated PTO speed is running my 4ft rotary cutter thru heavy weeds/grass. The extra rpm provides better blade tip speed and seems to leave a little better cut. I've been looking for a 5ft cutter to try and see how it works behind the 2400. I mowed some 3ft tall clover yesterday and I could feel it working the tractor a little harder than usual. This is the only time I've even noticed it's back there.
As a whole I absolutely love my B2400. This was an upgrade from a 16hp B7100 which was an impressive little tractor. If it had power steering I never would have sold it and instead just added an FEL to it.
The only trouble I've had with mine was an oil leak at the front axle pivot. Mine has the Bi-speed turn option and this really complicates any front axle issues. The first time I fixed it, It took three of us 7.5 hrs to change a lousy $1.60 o-ring /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The second time I did it by myself in about 4hrs. I do believe this problem was self induced and not a defect in tractor. I had been at my parents rolling their lawn and for the road home, I placed 400lb roller in bucket. I had also been lazy and left the mower deck on, so now we're talking a considerable amount of weight hanging on the front axle. Then to compound it, there is a rather steep hill which I had to decend on the way home. Tractor was balanced on the front axle with the rear tires not touching ground for approx. 300yds! going down hill. Massive load on front axle and hence a pinched O-ring and resulting oil leak. I strongly recommend not repeating the aforementioned scenario!
Good Luck with your 2400, I know your going to love it and be amazed with all the things they are capable of!!

/ Advice on Kubota B2400
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm gradually learning the quirks of my B2400. It can definitely do some work. I will try to locate some of the Blazer bulbs you mentioned. So far, I can't find anyone who can decipher the U/I symbol or the plastic button on the light switch. That electric switch is a flimsy-looking design on an otherwise well-built tractor. Hopefully the Kubota engineers are using a better switch on the newer tractors.

/ Advice on Kubota B2400
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm gradually learning the quirks of my B2400. It can definitely do some work. I will try to locate some of the Blazer bulbs you mentioned. So far, I can't find anyone who can decipher the U/I symbol or the plastic button on the light switch. That electric switch is a flimsy-looking design on an otherwise well-built tractor. Hopefully the Kubota engineers are using a better switch on the newer tractors.