advice on removing tire ballast

/ advice on removing tire ballast #1  

BLSXJ

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
My Kubota L3400 came with a set of Ag tires and a set of Turf Tires. Both are in good shape and both sets have "ballast" in the rear tires.

I mostly work the tractor in the bush and I think the Ag tires are the way to go. I have a small lawn mower for the yard, and would NEVER drive the tractor over my septic tank.

I've been trying to sell the set of turf tires, but haven't had any luck. Storing and moving the turf tires is a PITA.

I'm considering removing the ballast out of the turfs, to make them easier to manhandle and if I ever want turf's I'll likely want a "lighter" machine.

Has anyone pulled the ballast out of tires before? any tips ?

/ advice on removing tire ballast #2  
Do you want to save the ballast?
You could just let it go onto the ground. Not the most environmentally
friendly way, but it would let the ballast out of the tires.
If you got yourself a drill pump you could hook that up to the tires with the valve at the 12 o'clock position then turn the tire to the 6 o'clock position and pump out into a few containers.

/ advice on removing tire ballast #3  
I think you should first determine what is used for ballast in the turf tires. If its Rimguard - its a pretty expensive ballast fluid. I would leave the Rimguard in the turfs as it can add significant value when they are sold. I would get a pallet, put it where it doesn't require frequent moving and cover the tires with a tarp to keep them out of the sun.

I know that when Rimguard is removed commercially its with the use of some form of pumping system that also saves the fluid. Assumption being - it will be reinstalled in the new tires.

If the ballast is calcium chloride - salt water solution - I would find a place on the property where the salt solution isn't going to hurt anything, pull the valve stem and let her rip. Salt solution will kill most all types of vegetation so pick a good spot.

Whatever you decide - the tractor data web page says the standard ag tire for your L3400 is 11.2 x 24 and the Rimguard web page says they will hold approximately 24 gallons of fluid per tire.

/ advice on removing tire ballast #4  
if it's rg check with your local dealer, they may give you something for it