Advice on which tractor to buy

/ Advice on which tractor to buy #1  

nepa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi 180D, Jinma 284 sold, Kubota BX2660, IH Cub, Case 580CK, Minneapolis Moline 4 Star (sold), TYM 574, Furukawa FX-040
I am looking at three tractors to mow about 60 acres with a brush hog. A Ford 4610 3.3 liter diesel with 1800 hours for $4800, a Deere 1250 2.3 liter diesel with 5500 hours for $4000, or a International 464 with 2.9 liter gas and 1300 hours for $3000. All have gear transmissions. I am leaning towards the Ford because of the power, roll bar that the IH does not have, better shock absorbing seat, and low hours. I would appreciate opinions, especially on how much life I should get on the engines. Thanks.

/ Advice on which tractor to buy #2  
60 acres is a lot of mowing. The 4610 looks to be priced very reasonable. Have you seen it or know the history on it? I have several 90s vintage Ford tractors, one of them is a 4610. Great tractor! What size mower do you intend to use?

/ Advice on which tractor to buy
60 acres is a lot of mowing. The 4610 looks to be priced very reasonable. Have you seen it or know the history on it? I have several 90s vintage Ford tractors, one of them is a 4610. Great tractor! What size mower do you intend to use?

I will start out with the 5 ft brush hog that I already use with my 28 hp Jinma that needs downshifting going up hills and through thick hay. To speed things up, I want to go to a 6 ft. I do not know the history of the 4610 but, what else, everyone is saying their machine was well maintained.

/ Advice on which tractor to buy #4  
Do you have a pic of it?

/ Advice on which tractor to buy #5  
I bought a 1983 year model 4610 SU last year with 2900 hours for similar money. It was a 2 owner tractor and in very good condition. I currently run a nice 6' Brown 472 brush hog behind it. The combination works very well. Those engines are good for lots of hours if maintained. Some of the earlier ones had intermittent issues with cavitation. Check to see if SCA's were used with the anti-freeze. I could not verify that on mine but purchased it anyway. I consider those 3 cylinder Ford diesels to be good for 8K-10K engine hours if maintained. 60 acres will take some time to cut. I would consider a 10' brush hog as an option. May need to investigate a pull type if you don't have enough weight on the front end. If that 4610 is an AP you will have a longer wheel base and it will handle more weight on the point better. I have no experience with either the JD 1250 or IH 464. Around here 4610's are in high demand.