Air intake grid heater

/ Air intake grid heater #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
A question for anyone with a 5x00. 5x01, 5x03, 5x05, or 5x10 tractor with a manifold grid heater. What activates the heater on your tractor? Is it a position of the key switch? A separate button somewhere? A timer that starts each time the key switch is turned on?

/ Air intake grid heater #2  
The same air intake electric wire heaters have been around since the late 70s on the Mitsubishi, Shabarura, Kubota and Yanmar machines. It's typically found on the higher pricey models.

The Mitsubishi tractors have a button to press for cold starting. Then it runs thru a relay timer for about 6 mins. The device fails at times and the aftermarket offers the Hella brand as a replacement.

Here's the Yanmar / John Deere / Cub Cadet version.

YANMAR-PRE-HEATER-AIR-INTAKE-PN-129100_77501.jpg

Some of the housings look like this . . .

AIR INTAKE HEATER JD 3TNV84 M801118
AIR INTAKE HEATER JD 3TNV84 M801118.jpg

/ Air intake grid heater
I understand that, but it doesn't help explain how, on this particular tractor model/series, does the operator activate it when attempting a cold start. That's what I'm after here. Not so much the concept of grid heaters on tractors in general.

/ Air intake grid heater #4  
I have a 50x5, if that’s close enough. It has an intake manifold heater activated by pressing and holding the key/switch IN at the run position, right before the start position.

/ Air intake grid heater
I'm not sure they are the same in this regard. Maybe so. What I'm currently working on is a 5303. The information I have covers tractor models through 5x10. apparently at 5x20 and 5x25 something in there changed, not sure yet just what, but somehow the wiring must be different.

So on your model you turn the key to "on" and push in on the key? I don't recall trying that on this tractor, but I didn't get too deeply involved on that day.

/ Air intake grid heater #6  
5xxx models up to 2015 activated the grid air heater by turning the key switch on, then pressing it in. You can confirm the heater operation by watching the dash light dim slightly. Models after 2015 with the DPF controlled by ECM have a timer. When the key is turned on, if cold enough, there's a count down in the dash display. The operator manuals for these ECM controlled heaters have NOT been updated. Depending on year, some manuals do address the timed heater.

/ Air intake grid heater
Pushing the key in is the trick I'm looking for. This tractor currently has no grid heater, but I'm adding one. The instructions mention connecting the wires (power and ground) that trigger the relay, once installed, and where to find them. Or at east where they SHOULD be.

I'm trying to determine if that "trigger" circuit is actually there and does it work. Since the tractor didn't come with the heater, I don't know if any of that is there or not. Now I know what to look for and what to expect.

Thank you.

/ Air intake grid heater #8  
IMG_3311.JPG

The terminals of the key switch can be seen at the right in photo.
There’s a terminal that comes off the side of the switch. Not sure, but I’d check if that one changes status with the key pushed.

/ Air intake grid heater
The information I have states the signal wire from the key switch is labeled 385 green on the wiring diagram. I hope to get out there tomorrow and hopefully get something accomplished.

/ Air intake grid heater #10  
5xxx models up to 2015 activated the grid air heater by turning the key switch on, then pressing it in. You can confirm the heater operation by watching the dash light dim slightly. Models after 2015 with the DPF controlled by ECM have a timer. When the key is turned on, if cold enough, there's a count down in the dash display. The operator manuals for these ECM controlled heaters have NOT been updated. Depending on year, some manuals do address the timed heater.

The manuals for the MY2018-2020 (manual OMSJ29595) and MY2021+ (manual OMSJ41051) units are updated with the timed heater information.