Allis Chalmers tractor

/ Allis Chalmers tractor #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I'm asking for my buddy he has a 1963 AC tractor it's a small one don't know anything else about it. My question is can he install a power steering pump it?

/ Allis Chalmers tractor #2  
Are asking if he can add power steering on it??

Yes, but not for an affordable price... It would have to be fabbed up from a bunch of after market parts...

SR

/ Allis Chalmers tractor #3  
There is power steering and there is power "assisted" steering.
Assisted would be cheaper with after market parts.
Assisted is a pump, hoses and a cylinder with a control valve that when the stock system puts pressure on the valve it moves the cylinder which is connected to the stock parts and moves them.
I have seen it on trucks, semi tractors (yard tractors) and forklifts.
My old 4000# Clark uses this.

/ Allis Chalmers tractor #4  
My dad put power steering on two Minneapolis Moline tractors by using GM power steering gears to replace the stock steering gears. He had to make mounting brackets, but it wasn't too hard. Add a pump, or a flow divider if the tractor already has hydraulics. Didn't cost much using junkyard parts.

/ Allis Chalmers tractor
Thanks guys I'll let him know.

/ Allis Chalmers tractor #6  
I added power assisted steering to my 63 Ford 4000. I described it here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...wer-steering-my.html?highlight=power+steering

You will likely need some aftermarket parts (unless you have access to a lot of usable 30-50 year old pumps/steering cylinders/etc.) and it takes a fair amount of creativity/fabrication skills- but the results make tractor much easier/more enjoyable to operate.

/ Allis Chalmers tractor