Alternator replacement -- opinions?

/ Alternator replacement -- opinions?
as a rule of thumb.. I like a loade to be 80% of an alternators rated capacity for constant use. sound slike you are right there.

I'd see no problem going back stock 33 safely. on the other hand.. 50$ ain't much probably compaired tot he price of the alt.. and it WILL give you extra capacity.. and that almost never hurts.. as engine load is based on electrical load.. so a 55 vs 33 will not be seen any different to the engine unless you are using more than 33.. etc.

soundguy

Thanks, that gives me good food for thought.:)

Currently, I've taped off the wires and reinstalled the alternator so that the tractor can be run. It sits on a maintaince charger when it's in the shop and I haven't had to use any lights so I should be able to use it in this condition for a while. That will give me time to recouperate from Christmas and decide which way I want to go.

/ Alternator replacement -- opinions? #12  
Southend Auto down in Renton does a great job on rebuilds. I'm in the category if the 55 fits I would go with that just to charge the battery up quicker as well as running any extra lights. Although I am sure the 33 amp would do the same thing. I have been looking for the LED running lamps to put on my Kubota. 1/3 of the current for about the same lighting power.

/ Alternator replacement -- opinions? #13  
I upgraded my 4310 from 40 amp to 55 because of additional light , winch, accessory outlet, etc. If 40 amps will do you, I've got one for cheap.

The compact JDs use NipponDenso alternators, and they are very easy
to rebuild if the regulator, rectifier, or brushes are bad.

I don't know what brand is in the bigger Deeres, but rebuilder parts are
commonly available online for most alternator brands.

Also, there are some easy automotive alternator swaps that can be done,
sometimes with no tractor modifications.

I was able to swap my 955 35-40A unit for a 55A one from a Suzuki
Samurai. These alternators can be bought cheap from wrecking yards.
If you match the manufacturer, you can often get one with the same
connectors, too.

Unfortunately, my last bad JD atlernator had a bad stator, which took
out the reg, and the stator replacement costs as much as a used alternator.

That ND alternator from the 4310 will sell very easily on eBay.

The compact JDs use NipponDenso alternators, and they are very easy
to rebuild if the regulator, rectifier, or brushes are bad.

I don't know what brand is in the bigger Deeres, but rebuilder parts are
commonly available online for most alternator brands.

Also, there are some easy automotive alternator swaps that can be done,
sometimes with no tractor modifications.

I was able to swap my 955 35-40A unit for a 55A one from a Suzuki
Samurai. These alternators can be bought cheap from wrecking yards.
If you match the manufacturer, you can often get one with the same
connectors, too.

Unfortunately, my last bad JD atlernator had a bad stator, which took
out the reg, and the stator replacement costs as much as a used alternator.

That ND alternator from the 4310 will sell very easily on eBay.

I don't know about the newer machines, but mine has a Bosch alternator. I checked with Napa, but they couldn't match up the part number on the alternator for a cross reference or rebuild kit. A remanufactured unit thru Deere is $250 for the 33 amp or $300 for the 55 amp. A new one is $450ish.

I supose that I should also mention that the regulator and brushes had a complete melt down.

/ Alternator replacement -- opinions? #15  
that's what I figured price wise. it was gonna be a few bills either way. IMHO.. if you can swing the extra 50.. do it.. if you can't.. for sure don't loose sleep over it...

it will work either way.

soundguy

I don't know about the newer machines, but mine has a Bosch alternator. I checked with Napa, but they couldn't match up the part number on the alternator for a cross reference or rebuild kit. A remanufactured unit thru Deere is $250 for the 33 amp or $300 for the 55 amp. A new one is $450ish.

I supose that I should also mention that the regulator and brushes had a complete melt down.

that's what I figured price wise. it was gonna be a few bills either way. IMHO.. if you can swing the extra 50.. do it.. if you can't.. for sure don't loose sleep over it...

it will work either way.

soundguy

Shouldn't be a big deal in a few months, but we'll be tight for the next month recovering from Christmas. I checked on the tractor after feeding cattle tonight. The battery tender showed it was fully charged, so I'm happy for now since I can still use the tractor. When I do replace it, I expect I'll go with the 55 amp since you never know what the future will hold for electrical requirements.

/ Alternator replacement -- opinions? #17  
Shouldn't be a big deal in a few months, but we'll be tight for the next month recovering from Christmas. I checked on the tractor after feeding cattle tonight. The battery tender showed it was fully charged, so I'm happy for now since I can still use the tractor. When I do replace it, I expect I'll go with the 55 amp since you never know what the future will hold for electrical requirements.

That's the wisest move:thumbsup: