Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #61  
So how many of us have had the spare tire carrier wire rot out and have the tire drop from under the truck while going down the road. Happened twice to me! Once while snowplowing my own parking lot And no one saw it, another time while going over a set of rail road tracks and the wheel sped by me and went up a person’s driveway. I sheepishly pulled in and retrieved it and the neighbor across the street was my stone mason and he saw it and came to see if I needed help! It was embarrassing. 🤣

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #62  
So how many of us have had the spare tire carrier wire rot out and have the tire drop from under the truck while going down the road. Happened twice to me! Once while snowplowing my own parking lot And no one saw it, another time while going over a set of rail road tracks and the wheel sped by me and went up a person’s driveway. I sheepishly pulled in and retrieved it and the neighbor across the street was my stone mason and he saw it and came to see if I needed help! It was embarrassing. 🤣
I had the crossmember it was mounted to break just after I left the house. I heard a thud, looked back and my spare tire was laying in the road. An hour later I would have been on the interstate in morning traffic.

No rust, the truck was 3 years old. I generally take the spare out and put it in the bed now. It also saves the rim from getting rusty.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #63  
All good info and comments here.We learn,either by our misfortunes or witnessing some one elses.Now is the time to be more pro active.Go out and ask yourself?Am I prepared?If not,what should I do.If you see some one elses weakness,help them.Problems on the road could be an accident.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #64  
A few years back I bought a retired Postal van, it didn't even have a spare tire holder, or a jack or spare.
If they get a flat, they call out a service truck.
One of the first things I did, after making a spare key, was to install a spare tire holder and tire. Always have tools and jacks in the van since I do mobile mechanic work on the side.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #65  
Have one truck and two tandem wheeled trailers. I keep a "trailer-aid" in the truck. It's better than a jack for the horse trailer. I can change a tire without unloading the horses. I wouldn't try to jack the trailer loaded. The horses moving around would upset a jack. I also carry TWO spares when traveling long distances. It's hard to find the proper trailer tire when traveling.

Loaded Trailer on a "wedge". me changing flat tire.
4 butts.JPG

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #66  
My Welder/Tractor Mechanic told me about this, so I bought one too. Should fit almost everything.

My Chevy 1500 4x4, utility trailer tires and trailer spare mount are all different.

Thanks for the tip. Mine came in the mail today. It is going in the bag with the 20V Dewalt 1/2" impact, along with a short 1/2" extension. Much cleaner than the loose sockets that are in the bag now.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #67  
A few years back I bought a retired Postal van, it didn't even have a spare tire holder, or a jack or spare.
If they get a flat, they call out a service truck.
One of the first things I did, after making a spare key, was to install a spare tire holder and tire. Always have tools and jacks in the van since I do mobile mechanic work on the side.
It seems like it would be rather embarrassing to go out on a service call and have to get help when you have a flat. :D

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #68  
I used to occasionally ask people how long it had been since they checked the spare tire in their vehicle. The last time I asked I was told that's what AAA is for.
About 20 years ago a woman checked into the motel I was staying at. She was travelling from New Brunswick to Quebec in a brand new BMW when she trashed a tire on a construction site. It was an obscure size so they had to special order it; she was stranded there for 4 days. If I spent that much money on a car I would have been so POed I would have traded.
I had a ford fusion as company vehicle, the year it came out. I put a nail through the sidewalk the first week I had it. It took a week to get replacement tire . It is not just high end vehicles with odd sized tires