Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator #1  

Danbo56

Tractor
MF-50
RE: MF50 with Continental gas engine and a generator. The ammeter is reading "0" while the tractor is running..
I know is sounds naive but...... What should I check first . Regulator box?
?

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator #3  
Pull off the positive battery cable while its running. If it quits, then no generation. If it stays running then regulator may think battery is OK, no need to charge. Leave lights on for a few minutes to pull down the battery. Watch the ammeter when it it first starts. It should try to flow some current back to the battery. You might also give the regulator a wallop in case one of the relays is stuck open. If the motor quits, then check to see if brushes on the generator are snafu. (This is a generator and not an alternator ?)

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator
Pull off the positive battery cable while its running. If it quits, then no generation. If it stays running then regulator may think battery is OK, no need to charge. Leave lights on for a few minutes to pull down the battery. Watch the ammeter when it it first starts. It should try to flow some current back to the battery. You might also give the regulator a wallop in case one of the relays is stuck open. If the motor quits, then check to see if brushes on the generator are snafu. (This is a generator and not an alternator ?)

It's a generator....
I will try that tomorrow

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator #5  
A quick check of the generator/regulator, with engine about 1200 RPM ground the FIELD terminal at the generator. If the amp gauge then shows a charge the regulator is not working, may just need the points cleaned under the cover. If no charge the generator is not working, may be stuck brushes in the spring loaded holders. Another generator test, with the belt and both amp and field wires off, use a jumper wire to battery hot side and touch to the amp terminal, a good generator will spin the pulley slowly..

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator #6  
I had this issue with my 135/Continental when I got it...turned out the gen. was perfect, but the v. regulator was not closing the loop..you will need a volt meter..hook it to the battery, take the cover off the regulator and see if the contacts are closing when the engine gets to about 1000 rpm...if not you can adjust the connection so it will...there are a number of videos on the net to tell you how to adjust these things...it took me a while but I got it "perfect" (at least for me) so that is doesn't overcharge or not charge at all (your situation)...Voltmeter should read between 13.7 and 14.2 volts. I don't have anything else taking electricity so I keep mine at about 13.8 to 14.0 volts. Cost me the price of a new battery and generator checkup before I found the culprit... I'm assuming you have a 12 volt gen. regards, BobG in VA

/ Ampmeter reads Zero on the generator
fellas
thanks for the info.... I smacked it with an hammer ( ok, I tapped it with conviction) and the gauge went to 20 amps.
It's better to be luck than good...
I'll take the cover off and take a look at it...the right way