Another ballast barrel project...

/ Another ballast barrel project... #1  

roman

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 30(sold) Ford 1520(sold) Ford 1720(sold) Kioti CK4010SE HST Cab
I just made this ballast barrel, used stuff I had on hand. The only thing I bought was seven bags of quickcrete and 2" PVC. I also used a few hundred pounds of fieldstones. The barrel was shortened about 8" off the top. Made the initial cut with sawsall and trimmed it with a dremel tool. I left the top lip with enough room for chains, bar oil and fuel, My bigger saw may fit but I haven't checked that yet. Made the drain holes with a hole saw. Drilled them when the crete was still setting so the holes are slightly below the top at an angle. They seem to work well as you can see the watermark on the barrel side below the hole.
The cuts for the drawbar and trailer hitch were also done with a dremel. The drawbar, trailer hitch and the top link's steel are connected internally using Yankee ingenuity. It should stay together. I was going to use a receiver hitch but decided to use the old tongue with 2" ball because it fits every need for me and I squeak when I walk.;)
The PVC tool holders go straight to the bottom; I held them in place with zipties and the field stones. I wanted them straight vertical because I operate in the woods often and the tools need to be directly behind the tractor for protection. The drain holes for the tool holders were melted through the barrel bottom with a 1" steel bar sharp point heated with a propane torch. That took a few tries, the plastic is thick on the bottom!
It weighs in at approx 675-750 lbs. A few hundred more than my old one and sufficient for my little 1720. The trailer ball hitch will work well pulling logs to the landing.
In retrospect, my only need it doesn't fill: a chainsaw scabbard.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 1,297
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 1,202
Last edited:
   / Another ballast barrel project... #2  
ballast
tool holder
chain carrier
hitch
color matches pretty close

That's like killing five birds with one big rock!! Outstanding!

/ Another ballast barrel project... #3  
Very nice. I like how you left space above the concrete to throw chains and stuff.

/ Another ballast barrel project... #4  
I just made this ballast barrel, used stuff I had on hand. The only thing I bought was seven bags of quickcrete and 2" PVC. I also used a few hundred pounds of fieldstones. The barrel was shortened about 8" off the top. Made the initial cut with sawsall and trimmed it with a dremel tool. I left the top lip with enough room for chains, bar oil and fuel, My bigger saw may fit but I haven't checked that yet. Made the drain holes with a hole saw. Drilled them when the crete was still setting so the holes are slightly below the top at an angle. They seem to work well as you can see the watermark on the barrel side below the hole.
The cuts for the drawbar and trailer hitch were also done with a dremel. The drawbar, trailer hitch and the top link's steel are connected internally using Yankee ingenuity. It should stay together. I was going to use a receiver hitch but decided to use the old tongue with 2" ball because it fits every need for me and I squeak when I walk.;)
The PVC tool holders go straight to the bottom; I held them in place with zipties and the field stones. I wanted them straight vertical because I operate in the woods often and the tools need to be directly behind the tractor for protection. The drain holes for the tool holders were melted through the barrel bottom with a 1" steel bar sharp point heated with a propane torch. That took a few tries, the plastic is thick on the bottom!
It weighs in at approx 675-750 lbs. A few hundred more than my old one and sufficient for my little 1720. The trailer ball hitch will work well pulling logs to the landing.
In retrospect, my only need it doesn't fill: a chainsaw scabbard.

Very nice Roman
Im looking to make one just like that! Just got my first tractor so please bare with me. In the first pic the steel bar that goes all the way through the barrel horizontally and connects to the 3 point hitch. Whats that called? Did you buy that make it or get it off of another implement?

Thanks
Chris

/ Another ballast barrel project... #5  
Hello Chris and :welcome:
It look like a cross drawbar. That's what I used in a similar counter weight I built. :thumbsup: (I have no photo of mine presently.):(

/ Another ballast barrel project... #6  
Hello Chris and :welcome:
It look like a cross drawbar. That's what I used in a similar counter weight I built. :thumbsup: (I have no photo of mine presently.):(

Hello Mike
No picture it never happened!:D Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Another ballast barrel project... #7  
My plan was to build one of these as a ballast weight to help when plowing snow this winter. Decided to start with the Carry-all project that I posted on this forum and I now believe that the Carry-all will be a better fit for me. It already weighs about 400 lbs. and I can put a barrel (or two) of salt/sand mix in the back and have shovels or whatever along for the ride. Someone even mentioned to me the idea of adding a small salt spreaser to the back. All the weight and more utility features!
Happy Tractoring!