Another JD 4700 Owner!

/ Another JD 4700 Owner! #41  
Thanks Dan,

No, I haven't seen the MX-6 manual. This was in the salesman's thick loose-leaf binder describing available attatchments for the 4000-series compact tractors, giving descriptions,features,applications etc.

Maybe this is bum-dope ( your experience would indicate that it is ) but I was surprised to see it, and so read it several times, very carefully. It definitely said CAT.2.

But this wouldn't be the first error in a catalog /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

I'll check further...but the bottom line is that it works with the CAT1 hitch on your tractor, and that's good-enough for me.

Thanks for the quick comeback!

Larry

/ Another JD 4700 Owner!
What is the difference between cat1 and cat2? I know a cat 2 3ph allowed for heavier implements. What is popping up in my head is that the top link pin was thicker on cat 2 than a cat 1.

Am I even in the ball park on this one?

I'll see what the manual says.

I just checked the JD web site. They say it is a cat 2 "lift type hitch catagory" what ever that means. Minimum HP was 30, max was 90. And its a selectable unit under the 4000 series tractors. But they also showed some of the large MX cutters which I would think would be to much even for A Mighty 4700! :cool:

It fits but I sure don't know why/how! :cool:

Later...
Dan

/ Another JD 4700 Owner! #44  
The MX-6 can be used with either Cat I or Cat II. It is shipped with Cat II pins for the lower (draft) links, but Cat I pins can be substituted by the dealer.

/ Another JD 4700 Owner!
Thinks are a bit clearer this morning. I glanced through the MX5/6/7 manual and the MX6 cat 2 hitch can be modified to work on a cat 1 tractor by using the cat 1 parts from the MX5.

So I guess that is what has happened. :cool:

Later...
Dan McCarty