Another overheating problem (long)

/ Another overheating problem (long) #11  
I would check the radiator overflow bottle. If it is full then I would suspect the radiator is clogged or has a worn radiator cap, or that there is not a airtight seal between the two. You have a Yanmar engine in your tractor and I believe that you would need a 13 psi overflow type cap. If the water is not pulled back into the radiator then you loose it the next time it builds over 13 lbs of water pressure. You can try to drain and flush the system or just pull the radiator and have it rodded out at a shop. These are the simple things that can cause the problems you are having and they are cheap to address before you move on to the more serious posibilities.

/ Another overheating problem (long)
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would check the radiator overflow bottle.)</font>

Ther isn't one...it drains out onto the ground. I checked the diagram at jdpart.deere.com, and this is the proper configuration. This possibility is the reason that I am going ahead and replacing the cap.

Dave

/ Another overheating problem (long) #13  
DaveNay, Maybe your overheating could be attributed to a defective clutch fan if your tractor uses a clutch fan? I've seen this happen before... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You did release the brakes didn't ya /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Another overheating problem (long) #14  
Dave , also you said its consuming coolant ,not overflowing? check for pin hole leak in hoses or radiator? As stated previously check oil drain plug for water /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifMark S.

/ Another overheating problem (long) #15  
"I am looking more at a case of loosing coolant as opposed to ineffective coolant.'

Normally, you lose coolant after it overheats and boils. If the cause of overheating is not obvious it's usually caused by a clogged radiator. I would go to any parts store and get a 13# STANT cap and a coolant recovery bottle. Flushing the system is just a normal maintenance procedure.

/ Another overheating problem (long) #16  
To go along with that.. the very act of loosing coolant will cool the engine.. course once the sensor is in a dry region.. you loose a good of just how hot it is..

Soundguy