Buying Advice Another tractor advice thread

/ Another tractor advice thread
Everything Attachments, located in Newton NC, is an excellent source for made in USA implements, that ships for free.

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking up the other implements you mentioned and the grappler seems like it would be a welcome tool.

Maybe with moving the heavy digging/stump work to either paying someone else or a rented mini-excavator, i'm landing in the 30-50hp range and either a compact or lower end utility tractor?

/ Another tractor advice thread #12  
You're close enough you could probably go visit Travis at the Everything Attachments factory and pick out your favorite implements right off the floor.

/ Another tractor advice thread #13  
PapaRoo, do you have a certain budget you want to stick to? Cause we're really good at spending your money if you don't keep us in line.

/ Another tractor advice thread
PapaRoo, do you have a certain budget you want to stick to? Cause we're really good at spending your money if you don't keep us in line.

Tractorable, yes, well, that is a good question. I think I will need to go with a used model as to get a compact or utility in my range is unlikely. I'd really like to stay 10-15k, which from what I see through searching likely means looking for something with a few more hours and/or a bit older, like 90s-00s models. I will go up to 20k if that's what I need to do to get what makes sense. $30k is more than I really want to spend.

/ Another tractor advice thread #15  
Tractorable, yes, well, that is a good question. I think I will need to go with a used model as to get a compact or utility in my range is unlikely. I'd really like to stay 10-15k, which from what I see through searching likely means looking for something with a few more hours and/or a bit older, like 90s-00s models. I will go up to 20k if that's what I need to do to get what makes sense. $30k is more than I really want to spend.

That's going to be tough. I would really want a larger machine for your stated tasks, not saying you can't get one for that price, but are you planning on cash or financing? Because the interest rates on older equipment often mean that you end up paying more per month on a used piece than on new.(0% is a wonderful thing)

You're fairly close to a couple of the "package maker" dealers. You can get a Tractor, FEL, Shredder, and Trailer all in one go. The biggest you can get without breaking your 20K limit to bad would be an L2501. Now, I own the next step up in that range, but it's the same chassis, and almost the same everything else. I would not have it as my sole tractor if I had the amount of land you do or wanted to accomplish the goals you've laid out. That said, it will do for a lot of your tasks, though some of them would take longer than I'd personally be comfortable with.

I wish you luck on your search, but I've yet to find the perfect older big tractor for myself, so I'm going to have to bow out due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

/ Another tractor advice thread #16  

Mate, a tractor is a long-term investment. They last a long time as opposed to a road vehicle. You might spend US$40-50,000 on a new Ute (pick-up) and reckon on 10-15 years use. A tractor will/should give you double the time in usage... it's why we (TBN) say that your relationship with your dealership is long-term. Buying is a quick thing compared to your dealing with the parts/service department.

Sorry, but my recommendation is to bite the bullet now and get the tractor that you need now. Further implements can be added later as their need comes to your attention.

/ Another tractor advice thread #17  
A Kubota L2501 would probably be a 75-80% solution that you could get new for $17-18K.

/ Another tractor advice thread #18  
Here are some thoughts....

My first one, is wait till you get there and buy as you need them ? Unfortunately, the others are right, no one machine suits all jobs, but a tractor with decent 3ptl capacity can do a lot.

Even when just thinking tractors, you will find many often have more than one and more than one size.

I had a small stump to remove a week ago, bugger was it hard, 2 compact tractors, diggers, ripper & chains etc for this one stump, no woner they cut it close to ground and left it, it was like it was cemented in, no joke, it was prob 4+ hrs all up, tractors, even in 4wd with diffs locked simply dug holes trying to rip it out, ripper broke high tensile bolts, broke post hole digger (for a different reason though), in the end basically my labour with a bar and shovel is what got it to a point that the tractor could twist it out, so, what I am saying, is they are not any good really for stumps or clearing of old, intact stumps in hard ground, nor are they a quasi cat crawler. On the other hand I had a huge tree that fell down, was in soft soil, it had rot in the core, after sawing what I wanted for wood, IS compact tractor had no prob ripping roots, pushing what was left around and loading onto trailer, prob near a tonne a piece in each stump piece, was prob 30 mins work with machine, vs 4hrs for that puny stump that was all of 30 kilo once out.

Pasture, well I avoid cutting anything I do not have too, I get stock to do that :)

I see no way of avoiding many and varied items, unless you want to spend each day doing many time consuming things, it takes long enough when you have th e right or nearly right tool.