anti-scalp wheels fall off -- tighten your nuts!

/ anti-scalp wheels fall off -- tighten your nuts! #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
A couple of weeks ago while tilling the garden with my bx-22, one of the anti-scalp wheels fell off the mid mount mower. Fortunately I saw it happen and picked it up but the nut was lost. Then not being smart enough to check the remaining nuts I cut the grass a week later, looked down, and another wheel was gone! Having 4 acres of woods and no idea where the wheel fell off I gave up on searching after driving all around the property at least twice. The wheel is off in the brush somewhere. Fortunately I was able to order a replacement wheel and axle from tractorsmart.com and had them in a few days. I considered the wheels with grease fittings but it was hard to justify the price when the factory replacement wheel is only five bucks.

So for the rest of you with mid mount mowers -- check your nuts! (I know, I know, I'm waiting for the sarcastic comments)

/ anti-scalp wheels fall off -- tighten your nuts! #2  
You might want to put some blue "Locktite" on the bolts to keep them from working loose in the future. The blue is not permanent, the red "Locktite" is permanent and you don't want to use that on anything that you might want to take off someday.

You can get at the auto parts store, may be a different brand but if you ask for Locktite they will know what you want. About $3 for a small tube that will last you for years.

Or, buy some stopnuts, the kind with the nylon insert in them.

Either method might save you from losing another wheel.

Bill Tolle

/ anti-scalp wheels fall off -- tighten your nuts!
> locktite

A good idea, thanks!

/ anti-scalp wheels fall off -- tighten your nuts! #4  
My MMM anti-scalp wheels wear faster on the outside than from the inside. Grease fittings don't help that problem. It is not money well spent because as you say replacement wheels are only $5. The nuts are a standard size metric nut that is always in stock at Home Depot or ACE Hardware.