Antifreeze drips out of overflow

/ Antifreeze drips out of overflow #1  

Anonymous Poster

I always see small amounts of antifreeze drip out of the overflow tube on my L2050 down on the front axil. Is this normal? I check it often and it never seems to be lower than an inch down from the top. I add antifreeze every now and then to top it off. I wish this tractor had a temp guage. The owners manual says that you will hear a whistle like a tea kettle if it gets hot. Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jesse

/ Antifreeze drips out of overflow #2  
Jesse, it's normal for any vehicle to have the coolant expand as it heats up, so if the radiator is full, it will push some out the overflow tube, and I'm guessing the L2050 has no coolant recovery jug so it just drips out. If you quit topping it off, it should reach a level so that no more drips out. My B7100 was the same way; no coolant recovery jug and no temperature gauge, and I didn't even find anything in the manual to say how you would know if it started to overheat; however, a factory service rep told me the same thing your manual says. Fortunately, my B2710 has a coolant recovery jug, so the expanding coolant that is pushed into it is then drawn back when the engine cools, and it also has a temperature gauge. And of course, you'll find the same thing (coolant recovery jugs) on nearly all cars. As far as I know, the only real disadvantage of not having a coolant recovery jug is that air getting into the radiator just increases the chances of rust or corrosion. If your L2050 has no water pump, as the B7100, you don't want to keep adding antifreeze unless you are using a pre-mix (in other words, mix water with it). Too high a ratio of antifreeze to water will actually decrease its cooling ability.

Bird