Any CPAP users?

/ Any CPAP users? #21  
I haven't tried one of those devices, but was wondering what happens if your mouth comes open when you're asleep, do you have to wear a chinstrap with those?

I used the chin strap and that helped but the pressure still blew my lips open. I have a bad case so the pressure on the machine was set pretty high. The full mask that covered my mouth and nose was what worked best. The make several different full masks. It had a piece that wend under my chin and helped keep everythign in place.

/ Any CPAP users? #22  
My wife has sleep apnea. The CPAP irritated her already compromised nasel system causing nosebleeds. We found a local dentist that offerred the mouth piece alternative. She has been successfully using the mouth piece for well over a year now maybe two. The dentist that we found is in my opinion "high end" doing implants and other state of the art work. He was very helpful in making the decision to try the device, working with the medical insurance to fund the device and get it made and adjusted. It only took a few visits to get it adjusted. There have been no issues and my wife sleeps much better than with the facemask.

/ Any CPAP users? #23  
Consider getting an APAP machine vs a CPAP.

CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure - CPAPs are ”titrated“ to blow air at a constant set pressure that will keep air passages open. They are the most common way to treat Sleep Apnea.

APAP stands for Automatic Positive Airway Pressure - APAPs are set to disperse air at a range of pressures, constantly adjusting to the minimum pressure needed to keep airways open. The breath-by-breath adjustments maximize comfort.

I started out years ago with CPAP and could never get used to it and gave up. A number of years later I decided to try again. What a difference! I was able to get used to it in a couple of days. Getting the right mask and fit is critical. Also, the Doctors at Kaiser did a study and found that by going to APAP they had a much higher success rate. They were able to convince management to use APAP as the first choice.

/ Any CPAP users? #24  
Yes, I too am Darth Vader at night. You won't leave home without it. Naps on the couch are over for you though. Gotta go strap on before taking a nap.

/ Any CPAP users? #25  
Couple folks mentioned humidifier. And that is important. Our doctors here won't allow a machine without a humidifier. It doesn't dry out your nasal tissues. And, if you use distilled water, it doesn't have to be cleaned out too much either.

/ Any CPAP users? #26  
Couple folks mentioned humidifier. And that is important. Our doctors here won't allow a machine without a humidifier. It doesn't dry out your nasal tissues. And, if you use distilled water, it doesn't have to be cleaned out too much either.

Yep can't imagine not having the humidifier. Boy I bet your nose would be bleeding by morning with air drying it out if you didn't have some humidity.

James K0UA

/ Any CPAP users? #27  
Been on mine for about a year now. I can't sleep without it. My wife is a lot happier too since I don't snore anymore. Mine has the humidifier on it also and it makes a big difference. I can tell when I wake up the next morning and I ran out of water. My throat and sinuses will be dry. It takes a bit to get used to them at first, but not to long.