Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance?

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I was doing some digging with my bucket the other day and didn't notice one end of the quick attach bucket had popped out of the loader arm. I ended up bending something because my quick attach will no longer line up when installing front attachments. The right side lines up and you can get the pin in the bucket, but the left side is then about 2-3" away from getting the quick attach pin into the bucket. I have to apply pressure with the loader arms by pushing into a tree or hard ground to line everything up to get the second pin in place. I can't see any obvious bends. I'm thinking about chaining up the right loader arm and trying to bend back using the loader hydraulics and the weight of the font end. Are there any other tricks I can try?

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #2  
Can you post a picture? Most SSQA plates have a small pipe linking them together and I’m guessing that’s the problem.

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #4  
I was doing some digging with my bucket the other day and didn't notice one end of the quick attach bucket had popped out of the loader arm. I ended up bending something because my quick attach will no longer line up when installing front attachments. The right side lines up and you can get the pin in the bucket, but the left side is then about 2-3" away from getting the quick attach pin into the bucket. I have to apply pressure with the loader arms by pushing into a tree or hard ground to line everything up to get the second pin in place. I can't see any obvious bends. I'm thinking about chaining up the right loader arm and trying to bend back using the loader hydraulics and the weight of the font end. Are there any other tricks I can try?

It would be nice to know where the bend is, but lots of times that's hard to determine. Still, take your time to do your best on finding just what bent and by how much.
We are going to need that info in one old metal workers trick I'm going to explain.

But first you have to understand the problem. It's not the bent metal so much as it is that when you bend metal to the yield point that so that it permanently deforms into a new shape it also stretches as it yields into the new shape. And although it is relatively simple matter to bend it back close to ts former shape, it can never be "unstretched". A bent tube that is straightened will be longer than it was before.

So a loader arm that has been bent can often be bend back to where it used to be in two dimensions...but it is now also slightly longer that what it once was.... so it's still off.
You see the problem; you can never bend it back to where it used to be. You can get close, but even if you line it up in two dimensions it will be off in the stretched dimension.

The trick is to bend the OTHER arm so that it matches the first one. But you can only do that if the bend is in the arm itself. Then it's pretty easy. Just isolate the second arm and bend it to match the first one. Go really slow and measure often. You should be able to get the bends to match up pretty closely.

I'll say it again: that trick only works when the bend is in the arm itself - but that is where the bend usually is. And the trick will work even if one side of the arm has the tube closed with the typical long longitudinal seam weld.

But you CANNOT do the "bend to match" trick if the orignal bend involves a structural welded joint right around the tube. Welds perpendicular to the length of the arm are hardly ever similar enough to bend the same way.
That's why the very first thing you did was to figure out where the bending occured. Because if the bend occured at a welded joint then all bets are off. You probably cannot bend the second arm and expect it's welded joint to yield like the first one did.

You still aren't "hosed" though. The way a metal worker fixes an arm if the bend is at a welded joint is more work...and more specialized. But still easy to do.
A metal worker will use a hand or power hacksaw to cut through 3 of the 4 walls, cutting close to and sometimes into the welded joint. Then he will bend the remaining wall of the tube so that the bent arm now matches the original arm, clamp into position, and then reweld it. Unless you feel comfortable doing these things I'd hire a metalworker/portable welder to come out and do that if you can't take it to their shop. It's no biggie; they do it all day long. Should take a couple of hours if you have the bucket off and a long piece of pipe or straight metal tubing handy to slide through the bucket mounting holes to make it easier to line them up.
good luck,
rScotty

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #5  
Can you post a picture? Most SSQA plates have a small pipe linking them together and I’m guessing that’s the problem.

Wouldn't that be nice!
That's why I said in my post above that the first thing to do is to figure out exactly where the bending happened.
Really, it's not a very big problem. Metal bends.. you found that out. Now the thing is to match the bends, or untwist any rotation.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #6  
Wouldn't that be nice!
That's why I said in my post above that the first thing to do is to figure out exactly where the bending happened.
Really, it's not a very big problem. Metal bends.. you found that out. Now the thing is to match the bends.
rScotty

I’ve done the same thing the OP did. I really doubt the loader arm is bent from it.

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #7  
Of course, most different brands of loaders have different adjustment points. That was so for my loader as well. That said, I could not level my bucket on my newly acquired and much abused but new to me John Deere 970 with the series 80 quick detach loader. One side of the loader bucket touched the ground 2 1/2" before the other side. In the end I discovered that the tube that runs between the left and right arms was twisted due to abuse. The fix came down to taking a carbon arc air torch and removing the weld attaching this bent tube just behind the bucket on just one side The Cross tube itself was not twisted to bad, I was able to re-time the arms so the bucket was able to be level and tack weld in place on the second or third attempt. Once that problem was out of the way, I welded solid. Flaw in the design was to lite of a tube between the two sides and of course an operator that had some common sense. I fabricated some gussets for the cross tube adding some more structural resistance to twisting the loader arm cross tube again. I would not recommend this to the average owner, special tools, good welding and fab skills required for this job. Poor welds would be a safety problem that could cause big problems with welds failing under heavy loaded bucket conditions, could result in a death if not done right. Most local shops should be up to that job though it won't be a cheap repair. I'd be looking at that tube first after all of the adjustments are exhausted or at their limits. I can post pics if it would help. Also,being a green horn operator, I added a home made bucket level indicator. easy to do stuff. All welds 7018. Arc-air electrode is 1/4" carbon arc @300 amps and lots of air CFM. Did this repair more than 5 years ago by my records, has not moved a bit after the repair. Don't know what a SSQA plate is, this was a old school repair by removing the weld attaching the left side arm to this tube making it so I could "re-time the arms" back to the same place. Minor adjustments to the mounting brackets are provided in the mounting brackets. Makes me look at everything I lift with this FEL from this point on. I was not the person who bent this loader, but I want to learn from what I had to fix.
Chris

Attachments

• DSC01780.JPG
    DSC01780.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC01781.JPG
    DSC01781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC01782.JPG
    DSC01782.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
   / Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #8  
I致e done the same thing the OP did. I really doubt the loader arm is bent from it.

From the OP's description it seemed like he was thinking that the bend was in the loader arm itself, but I agree that it would be hard to bend a loader arm without also bending the SSQA plate.
The OP says he can't find any obvious bends - that's not surprising. Bends can be hard to find.
Still, as we all keep saying, everything starts from carefully identifying just where the bend (or twist) has happened. Nothing is going to go right until you get that figured out.

Maybe the best first thing for him to do is go down to the tractor shop and beg or borrow a brand new SSQA plate and see how that fits the arms and bucket.
With any luck it will be the plate itself. SSQA plates are way easier than the alternatives.
rScotty

/ Any tricks to straightening loader arms that are out of balance? #10  
Here is a quick measurement you can do and see if the plates are even close to being in time. Measure from the tip of each plate to the center of the upper pin in the bucket cylinder, or even just measure center of pin to center of pin on each cylinder on the bucket.