Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti.

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti. #11  
You can buy replacement seat belts online.

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti. #12  
I probably would have just rubbed oil into the wood. The black paint matches, but is does less to protect the wood.

My tractor is open station, doesn't use a clutch and is bigger than the CK. I don't think in would operate the tractor with a small child on it. MAYBE in my lap, if it was just a 'ride' around the yard (no tasks). If your daughter can operate the seat belt and you are not 100% focused on her, it only takes a second to go from fun to tragedy.

Fortunately for me, my daughters are in their 20s, so if they want tractor time, they can operate it themselves! (Under supervision, of course)

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti.
Well, I never added the side netting like I planned, but the seatbelt fits nice and snug and strong. So my daughter still likes to ride along sometimes, and she knows our safety protocol well. She didn't even mind the single digit temps to re-plow a new dusting of snow off the driveway the other day.

zCLAHDx.jpg

Torvy, she can buckle the seatbelt (when she has bare hands), but not unbuckle it. I typically do both for her.

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti. #14  
I just noticed this update after looking the thread up to show the missus; I love this project, and she looks so happy!

Thanks. It was a fun project but she is growing so fast, might not work for too much longer. Plus she's no longer a terror when left alone inside the house, so she doesn't have to always come along on tractor chores as much. (IE mom doesn't kick her out the door to "go help dad" quite as much, lol).

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti. #16  
I'm curious how many folks out there have fabricated a buddy seat for their CUT before. I know most of our tractors aren't really big enough to find space for this without blocking a lot of controls or compromising ergonomics pretty badly.

My daughter just turned 4 and she loves to ride on the tractor with dad. I only let her come along when we are doing simple things, like taking the trash bins out to the road for pickup, going to get the mail, or just cruising around, pulling a trailer, etc. If I have any focused or heavy loader work to do, need to operate on any slopes, or am using the PTO for anything, she is not allowed anywhere near the tractor. But right now she has to sit on my knee, and I have to dedicate one arm to holding her tight. It's fine, but obviously the potential for an accident always exists.

I am lucky to have a Kioti CK3510SE tractor. The SE designation means I do not have a clutch pedal, just full hydro trans, can shift ranges without a clutch. So there are no pedals on the left side of the operator station. I've always thought there was plenty of space to set up a little buddy seat for her, or any other small kiddo around that wants to join a joy ride. So a couple nights ago I decided to just try making one and see how it fits.

I thought about drilling and tapping more holes in the tractor to bolt a buddy seat on, but first decided to try using these three holes shown here. Two were for a stupid little cubby that could hold just about nothing. The one in the back corner was part of the plastic around the hydro range selector, but I sacrificed it for the buddy seat instead. Still three other bolts holding that panel on.

UIQNk6R.jpg

Prototype phase 1:

BPmY9fJ.jpg

I had already figured out a few things here. Like trimming the left seat rail to make a little more space and get rid of a sharp metal corner, that my seat back was going to interfere with the two forward mounting bolts and thus needed a relief built in to access/install them, and that I would have to notch the top of the seat back to let the range selector lever sit comfortably in medium range. But what if I needed low range (further forward on the lever)? I couldn't accept having to unbolt the buddy seat, so instead I just hinged the backrest so it can tip down forwards.

37BALcH.jpg

First test sit! She likes it and fits it well (for now, lol).

qOocuAn.jpg

At this point I decided that my prototype was in fact going to work quite well, so it was time for paint. Couple coats of spray is good enough.

2LWYpOA.jpg

gX38iad.jpg

I am not done with the project though. I need to cobble together a good, safe seat belt that a 4-year old can operate. And maybe another strap that goes along the outside of the tractor too.

My Kioti almost always lives inside or under a carport roof, but even with paint, I know this un-treated wood might not last long out in the elements. I plan to give it periodic stress testing, and if it cracks, it's gone. But hopefully my 9-year old son can use it too when needed.

Feedback welcome, and/or show us you own buddy seats!
Great idea and love it.
Give the kid a cushioned seat however.
The glue you use to adhere the cushion will also protect the wood to a degree.
These ppl will make you a custom size set for dirt: window-seat-cushion-cover-p

Last edited:
Yeah I actually had a piece of heavy foam ready to glue onto it, but after my daughter rode around on it a few times and said it was fine, I sorta gave up on the idea.

Great link, how can they profit by sewing me a custom outdoor fabric seat cover for just 3 bucks?!? thats insane.

/ Anyone ever make their own buddy-seat? Made one for my Kioti. #18  
I need a little one for my Jack Russell!👍