Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers?

/ Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers? #1  

Deepdrop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 (2021)
Hi,
I've been researching small flail mowers for my 25hp CUT. There are some reputable brands I can order online, and I'd buy them based on reputation (Befco, Caroni, EA, etc.) but I'd prefer to purchase locally, and I'd rather spend less money as I'm not going to use it very aggressively. So a quality lower end piece of equipment would be fine. Used are difficult to find but I'm keeping my eyes out, although frankly I'd rather buy new.
A local dealer can get a Sundown 36" flail mower that weighs 253lbs and is appropriate for my size tractor. I could go a bit larger but I'm fine ith 36". The thing is that I can't find anything about Sundown. There are some posts I've found, referring to it as imported junk, but without any specifics.
Does anyone have any experience with them? Or even hearsay from someone you trust?
Thanks very much.

/ Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers? #2  
I think Sundown is just importing machines from elsewhere under their brand name…which is very common in the short line equipment business.

When I was looking at flails I noticed the Sundown FM series had the same manual as the BPF series from Ironcraft. Both machines are made in India and then rebranded. Looks like the small mowers are made by Cosmo in Italy according to this link:

I’ve bought some other items from JS Woodhouse through my local dealer and they’re reputable at least.

/ Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers? #3  
From what I can tell there are really only 2 flails.
1) Italian made. Quality, but $$
2) Chinese made. Less quality, but inexpensive.

Sure, lots of brands and variations, but it really comes down to that. If it's expensive, it is probably a rebranded Italian model. If it is inexpensive, it is probably a rebranded Chinese.

That being said, there are differences. My Chinese flail is built in China using German engineering and Italian parts. I feel a little better about that than one that is a pure knock off, reverse engineered and parts sourced all in China. The US PoE is in Houston and the guy that runs the importer seems to be a great guy. Communicates and even included a few free parts.

/ Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers? #4  
Spending a bit more for a flail mower will only pay you dividends 10 years down the road as you will be able
buy parts and have a machine that will last and barely grunt at a workload.
The 48" Vrsimo Minimax is built in California and sold nation wide. The flail mower rotor bearings and real roller bearings are standard bearings and obtainable locally if they are ever needed and the V belts are a standard size available locally.

I have my fathers 48" Mathews Company Lawn Genie pick up mower and it is a towed flail mower with the original B+S I/C cast iron sleeve engine that I would be will to sell. Send me a PM if you are interested.

/ Anyone familiar with Sundown Flail Mowers?
Thank you for the interesting comments. I think the point is probably valid, that there are expensive, well made items, and less expensive (probably Chinese) items and they have more similarities than differences. I think that the less expensive "knockoff" items mostly will work well, and are a valid option, especially if the dealer is willing to stand behind them. No doubt that an expensive Italian made high end flail mower is going to be a better machine, will run better, probably have fewer issues, and will last longer. But it's a much larger initial investment and not worth it for everyone's needs.

Leonz, thank you for your kind offer. By the time I got around to seeing your post, I had already decided to buy the Sundown. The main reason is that my dealer has always done right by me. That alone has significant value to me. I feel confident knowing that I will have a local person to go to if I have any issues.
It may take a few months before I have a chance to write some follow-up, but I will be sure to share my experience for those in a similar situation.