Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color?

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .......... Or are you waiting for Junkman to show up so you can just shut it down? )</font>

Hopefully this will not happen, however, I have noticed that if I post to a thread, the thread might just die a natural death without Gary's intervention.... Just hope that it doesn't happen to this one.

The bricks that are shown in the picture of the house appear to me to be two different and distinct bricks that the bricklayers used at almost a random pattern while setting them. I know that it is very difficult to get an exact match of bricks because there are so many variables that come into play when the brick are being cast. For that reason, when I built my home, I ordered a extra pallet of bricks to be on the safe side. I have moved that pallet of bricks too many times in the past 20 years to ever recommend this to anyone. My best suggestion is that if you have some spares, take them with you to the brick yard and look for bricks to match as close as possible, but you will not find an exact match. Second method is to take a close up picture of the two types of bricks and bring your camera along with you to the brick yard. Then also photograph the brickyard bricks in natural light and see how they match. You could also purchase a couple of bricks and bring them home with you for matching. I know that when we built office buildings, that all the bricks for the job were delivered at once, even if it meant storing them off site till they were needed. That was the only way to get a consistent color without deviation. If they ran out, you could always see where the new batch started and the original ended. When they knew that this was going to happen, they immediately started to mix the new lot with some of the old lot of the bricks to keep the color mismatch to a minimum area. Even getting the mortar to match is difficult. When they were bricking the house, they ran out of mortar and the next batch didn't match the original mortar batch. The second batch had to have die added to it to come closer to the original.

Attachments

• 666153-MVC-640F.JPG
    666153-MVC-640F.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 64
   / Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color?
<font color="blue"> you will not find an exact match </font>

Yup, we have 2 different bricks. The dark brown brick is the problem. It is a dark chocolate brown color and we can't find the color. We gave up completely on the texture, we can't do that either! But we are more concerned about color than texture. The new garage is over 100' away from house, so texture is not an issue, but both the garage and house are visible from the neighbor's lot and partially visible from the road, so we really would like to get the color very close.

As for the 1 pallet storage suggestion, its a good one, but I need 8 pallets, 4 of each color. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color? #13  
Are these from U.S. Brick ? General Shale?

Who actually made them?

My neighbor had trouble finding brick to match his , they ended up calling the manufacturer & they were able to connect them with someone who had His exact brick in stock.
They said they were going to make another run of that particular brick after all the inquiries about them.

It might be an avenue for You to research Bob. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color?
Tom, I have no original bricks from the house except the ones that are mortored in place. The brick yard that provided the original bricks for the job 10+ years ago came out to try to match the bricks, they could not. I have no clue who made them, I figured the guy from the brick yard would have known that.

How do I find out who made the brick???

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color? #15  
Bob,

If the brick yard that supplied the brick 10 years ago can't tell you who made them, they must have the worst record keeping system in the world! You'd think they'd have records of their sales to the contractors that they work with. And surely they have to know what manufacturer's they buy from.

I just had another thought. Maybe you could talk with a company that specializes in restoration projects. Those folks seem to be able to do research and find materials that normally can't be found anymore.

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color? #16  
Mine are a chocolate brown brick and from what I remember, they came from a brick manufacturer in N.J. That is all that I remember about them...

/ Anyone have their bricks dyed a different color? #17  
If You find a good brick mason they can just about tell You for sure who made them.

I would ask the person that laid them if they are still around.