Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #1  

captjohn

Tractor
Kubota 2550 4WD w/Front End Loader
Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 40'x60'x14.5' enclosed pole barn on a slab. All 26 GA metal w/ 3/4" rib, 2x6 wall girts 2' OC with 40' 2x4 trusses w18" overhang 3' OC and 2x4 roof purlins 2' OC . I'm in south Mississippi and want to insulate it to muffle rain noise and stop condensation dripping inside. A little cooler/warmer wouldn't hurt either but not interested in the high dollar spray foam. My builder wants to use a rolled radiant bubble with smooth vinyl inside finish. I haven't seen bubble with smooth finish online. I want to use the 3" fiberglass with vinyl backing. He said the metal will have a wavy look with the 3" FG and that's why he went to the thinner bubble stuff.
Anyone have the 3" between their purlins/girts and metal and have a problem?
Thanks
Capt John

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #2  
Re: Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new constructio

I don't have personal experience with the bat fiberglass, but that is what all the building manufacturers list for insulation if you go online and spec out a building. I don't think you would be getting really good R value with either product but it would help a bit on the summer heat and of course prevent the condensation that you mention. I have seen a lot of steel building with the rolled insulation and didn't notice any wavy look to the steel, it seems to crush down really easy as it is a super light density material.
I would say that the builder is just wanting to cut costs from the fiberglass use which even the light stuff is fairly expensive now. BIL bought a small piece 24" x 96"x5" to insulate a sprinker check valve station and it was $20. I don't have an clue as to cost of bubble wrap but I would say from the amount you get in packing, it much be fairly cheap. I have seen lots of bubble wrap in packing with a smooth side but wasn't called radiant barrier. I actually have some radiant barrier in my house and barn that is double sided silver mylar with bubbles in between the two mylar outer layers that is supposed to reflect the infra red heat back into the house in winter and away in the summer. I really cant say how well it works.

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #3  
Re: Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new constructio

Put up my building 5 years ago, they used aluminum foil bubble insulation in 8' wide rolls. Works good.

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #4  
I have the 3" insulation on mine. Its not wavy at all. Check out my thread for the build process. Do a search for my user name and read 'My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread'

Sent from my Motorola Moto X using TractorByNet

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction

I have the 3" insulation on mine. Its not wavy at all. Check out my thread for the build process. Do a search for my user name and read 'My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread'

Sent from my Motorola Moto X using TractorByNet

Thanks. Just what I wanted to see! I'm going with the FG and it's only $400 more over the thin stuff. I'm doing a wainscotting also. Looks good!

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #6  

I agree with RxRated, here is a picture from the construction of my pole barn and no signs of anything wavy. Hindsight I would have had them tie the front apron into the cement floor. I get some heaving in the winter and it creates a lip in front of the rollup and keeps water from snow melting in the pole barn. A minute or so with a squeegee fixes it but it is still a nuisance. I don't think you'll have that problem in Edmund.

P9130175.JPG

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction

Thanks for the info. I signed a contract today and contractor should be setting posts late next week.;) I post updates.

/ Anyone use 3" vinyl backed roll fiberglass in their pole barn for new construction #8  

Put up my building 5 years ago, they used aluminum foil bubble insulation in 8' wide rolls. Works good.

Try this product. There are many brands of the same type stuff. Air-Cell - Australia's leading Thermo Reflective roof insulation, wall insulation, and floor insulation products.

Up here in the NW I have had bad success with fiberglass. No matter how you do it moisture will condense on the walls and roof. Fiber glass sucks up the water till it gets heavy enough to pull it down. I used to specify pre-engineered buildings for military projects and always used the air cell type after many fallen fiberglass jobs. Never had a failure or complaint.

Ron

Try this product. There are many brands of the same type stuff. Air-Cell - Australia's leading Thermo Reflective roof insulation, wall insulation, and floor insulation products.

Up here in the NW I have had bad success with fiberglass. No matter how you do it moisture will condense on the walls and roof. Fiber glass sucks up the water till it gets heavy enough to pull it down. I used to specify pre-engineered buildings for military projects and always used the air cell type after many fallen fiberglass jobs. Never had a failure or complaint.

Ron

Thanks for the input Ron. There seems to be pros and cons to all of them. I've talked to a few people in my area with metal bldgs and pole barns but no wet complaints unless they develop a leak. I guess I'm staying with the FG and will see if I made a mistake.