Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT????

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am interested in building/buying a power rake for light landscape work.

We have solid, hard clay. Will these break up the clods? How well do they work for you?

The brochures make it look nice.

Would like to use one in the straight mode as a kind of verticutter, and angled to rough up the dirt some.

Your thoughs please?

THANKS,
Ron

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #2  
We do small landscape jobs, lawn prep, etc. I would really love a power rake, but they are very expensive for my little part-time business. Do a search on Harley Rakes and you'll find a wealth of information.

After looking around a bit, I think I'd be satisfied with a 3 and 1/2 foot TR3 rake. I'd like to see on in person first, maybe have a hand at running it. But they require no hydraulics or PTO power and do the functions of a lot of other attachments. I get tired of hauling around a landscape rake and a box blade and changing them over on a job site. The TR3 is supposed to do it all. One of the guys here has one and sent me some private messages about how much he likes his. They are expensive for a non-powered attachment, but they seem to do a lot for the money.

Good luck finding what you want.

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #3  
The rake may break them up depending on how hard they are. Using a Harley rake on very dry material is about as big a dust storm as you could make. There is an ideal time to get on the ground leveling/raking with a Harley just like a tiller. I had clods here at my place the size of softballs to as big as volleyballs and the Harley (Pro 8) did an incredible job. The new carbide series would do even better. What they don't breakup will get raked. Check out the photos section and look for Rowski. He has some photos of his rake, a TR8.

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #4  
Turfman,

I know it's a ways down I-15, but if you're ever in the Cedar City area, I've got a TR-3 that you can try out.

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #5  
A Power Rake is an entirely different animal. I don't see how a non powered unit could even come close to doing what a power rake does.

/ Anyone using a power rake behind a CUT???? #6  
I agree %100 percent. I have a 6' Woods Power Rake (really a Harley). They work great when there is a lot of moisture in the ground. They take some getting used to, but used in proper conditions the results are absolutely incredible. Use it in the middle of summer and you get a dust storm. For small area you may be able to soak the ground with spinklers to use the harley rake out of season.