Chains Aquiline chains: How are they?

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #11  
I installed Aquilines yesterday on my Kubota B7800. Been frustrated all winter so far with the 'standard' chains not being effective on ice.

The Aquilines (not Talon) made a world of difference. They were expensive but totally worth it. My only concern is the 't' link used to connect the ends together. I hope they stay on.

I lost one of the links Norse supplies with their chains, it sounds like the same kind of coupler. They also send a C-shaped open chain link with a split pin that drives in to close the link. I put that in place of the T-link that went missing. So far that's stayed put.

Chilly

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #12  
Thanks for telling me this! I hadn't figured out what to do with the C links. ONce installed, can you move the pin to uninstall the link to take the chains off?

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #14  
Thanks for telling me this! I hadn't figured out what to do with the C links. ONce installed, can you move the pin to uninstall the link to take the chains off?

Now THAT is a good question :) Mine are loose enough that I can roll the chain up high enough to get a pin punch in there. I think.

Chilly

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #15  
Now THAT is a good question :) Mine are loose enough that I can roll the chain up high enough to get a pin punch in there. I think.

Chilly

On my Trygg's I painted the roll pin in the C links with never-sieze, worked it back and forth before I closed it up so I can get it back apart next time. I always do the same with clevises. After running them in salt during the winter they can be a pita to get apart w/o never-sieze.

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #16  
i know i'm beating a dead horse here but i never did understand why folks buy a tractor with industial tires on them if they don't give very good traction in mud and general farming unless they are being used in an industrial setting. i have ag tires on my kioti, been in many sloppy, slick muddy situations and never once been hung up, never needed chains. why put expensive tires on a machine that are generally useless and that you'll have to buy chains to go anywhere. i can see chains on a 2 wheel drive but on a 4 wheel drive tractor i can't, sounds like somebody needs some ballast added.

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #17  
Chains help. The most extreme us of AG tires I have ever seen is on log skidders. I've never seen a log skidder, summer or winter, without chains on it.

/ Aquiline chains: How are they?
i know i'm beating a dead horse here but i never did understand why folks buy a tractor with industial tires on them if they don't give very good traction in mud and general farming unless they are being used in an industrial setting. i have ag tires on my kioti, been in many sloppy, slick muddy situations and never once been hung up, never needed chains. why put expensive tires on a machine that are generally useless and that you'll have to buy chains to go anywhere. i can see chains on a 2 wheel drive but on a 4 wheel drive tractor i can't, sounds like somebody needs some ballast added.

Because:
1) the dealer makes more money;
2) they add a lot of ballast with the fluid which gives more more to the dealer;
3) they help with the loader that also gives more money to the dealer.

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #19  

When you're on snow covered ice, it doesn't much matter whether the tires are R4's or R1's. Rubber on ice is still rubber on ice.

Having said that, I agree that the R1 is the more practical tire for traditional tractor use. Quite a few of us here don't use tractors in the traditional (farming and logging) style.

I'm one of those who need R1's (AG), so I got R1's when I got the tractor. I was lucky enough to buy new, so I had the choice.

Quite a few people buy used. If my used (new to me) tractor came with R4's in good shape, well, it's going to get those worn out before I dig into my wallet any further for a set of new AG's and rims. Or, until I get tired of getting stuck more than I should :)

Chilly

/ Aquiline chains: How are they? #20  

I understand where you're coming from on the R-4's. I have never owned any tractors with them, all of ours have r-1's. I travel a lot of pavement and still like the r-1's, much more versitile. My r-1's on the rear of my 4150 have over 1700 hours on them, 60% worn and will dry rot before I ever where them out. Yet I drive it hundreds of miles on pavement a year.

As for chains, if you go where I have to go you don't do it w/o chains. All our tractors that we run have chains, Kubota 6800, 4150, Ford 9n, 2n, 600, 5000 all have chains. W/o them you aren't going to push snow or get anywhere.