Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good?

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I've been looking at lightweight electric snow blowers to clear my upper walkways. Due to stairs, I can't easily use my heavy Toro Gas powered snow thrower. I have to lift it up there with FEL forks, which makes it a pain in the butt. Usually, it's less effort to just shovel the walks.

Since I already have a supply of their batteries for my electric mower, I'm eyeing this one from DeWalt:

It weighs 59 pounds so it can easily be pulled up the stairs. I can also just leave it on the porch.

It's a single stage unit so I don't expect it will be of much use in heavy wet snow or anything deeper than 6". The walkways are close to the house though and only get a fraction of the total snowfall. I'm hoping the thing will be adequate.

Anyone have experience with these lightweight electric blowers?

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #2  
Have never used one personally but local Garden store I deal with uses one for their side walks. It works well in dryer snow but like most blowers struggles in wet snow. They figure around 60 minutes run time on the unit they use. I do not recall the brand but was green in color.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #3  
I bought a used Sears 110v snowblower for $20 or $30 that surprised me for how quickly it would blow snow off the sidewalk. Way faster than a shovel and I doubt it even weighs 20lbs. I don't know how long a battery powered unit would run.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #4  
Have Fluid Film on hand in a warm Aerosol can to spray on the paddles and chute,
keep the snow blower under a tarp to protect the battery contacts and do not leave
the battery in the cold as it will not run well.

Before you go any further look at the 110 VOLT TORO POWER SHOVEL as it weighs
much less and has been on the market for a long time.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good?
Have Fluid Film on hand in a warm Aerosol can to spray on the paddles and chute,
keep the snow blower under a tarp to protect the battery contacts and do not leave
the battery in the cold as it will not run well.

Before you go any further look at the 110 VOLT TORO POWER SHOVEL as it weighs
much less and has been on the market for a long time.
I like my Toro gas powered snow thrower and considered their 110V model but I would need a very long extension cord. That would just add to the hassle.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #6  
I have both an 2 cycle TORO S200 and a 2 cycle TORO GTS CCR 3000 and they are constantly trying to get
out of the garage by clawing at the bottom panels of the garage doors. I would still have all four of my snow
pups of they had not died by having a side frame failure.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #7  
I‘ve been running a Toro 18” electric for 12 years now. Doesn’t throw snow like the 74” blower on the back of the tractor but it’s great for the deck and walkways.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good? #8  
Tracked units like a honda can go up stairs.

/ Are Electric Snow Blowers Any Good?
Tracked units like a honda can go up stairs.
Yes, I've seen them but they are pricey. I'm trying to keep the cost under $1K. Nothing wrong with my Toro so no need to replace it.