Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S.

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S. #1  

Shaun Ryder

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I recently ordered, and picked up myself at the factory, a set of pallet forks and frame for my [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] BX23S with SSQA.

I am having an issue fully closing one of the two SSQA latches with the pallet fork frame on. On one side, the SSQA latch fully closes against the SSQA frame. On the other side, a bolt that is part of the SSQA assembly strikes a "tab" on the SSQA frame that it shouldn't, and therefore will not close all of the way.

My factory SSQA bucket fits perfect and both latches fully close. This issue is only happening with the Artillian pallet fork frame. I've attached two pictures, one showing the latch that fully closes, and the other latch that does not close fully.

I'm a new tractor owner. Am I doing something obviously dumb here, or is there a problem? Thanks.

Attachments

• forks_not_ok_side.jpg
    forks_not_ok_side.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
  • forks_ok_side.jpg
    forks_ok_side.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
   / Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S. #2  
I see the problem...that the bolt is interfering with the tab. The SSQA lever cannot move on over to its proper over center position. I'd say, that it is NOT safe to use it as is because the RH lever needs to move far enough CCW to go over center so that the lever will self-lock.

But I'm not quite clear on why changing to the new pallet fork frame would cause that. The only possibility I see is that the vertical tapered engagement pin on the right is not dropping down as far as the one on the left. If there is some pin engagement it would be safe to stick your head under it or lift it far enough to see if the pin is engaging - just don't work with it until we get the overcenter latch to properly snap closed.

You got me curious enough to wade through the snow to look at mine on the M59 - but it doesn't even have the bolt and tab that yours does. My kubota's older SSQA relies totally on the L shaped lever going over center until it contacts the surface of the SSQA . Just as your LH one does, but without the bolt & tab.

I suppose that to use the pallet forks you could readjust that bolt. Is that a spring ball on the end of that bolt? If so all the better. A readjust to slightly shorten it to fit under the tab would make it safe to use - but then have to be adjusted back for the regular bucket..... unless you just get lucky with it. Maybe that is what to do. ....yes, here is what to try: Make a minimal adjustment to shorten the bolt so it just fits under the RH tab - if so......and if the bolt does what I am guessing it does, it will be safe with the forks and may also work with the bucket.
luck,
rScotty

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S. #3  
Lowest hanging fruit:

Check under the frame's upper lip to see if there's wasp nests or weld bead interfering.

Then, with the fork frame's upper lip securely engaged over the SSQA upper lip and retaining pins retracted, jiggle the joy stick to seat the attachment if it's not seated fully.

Then, what rScotty said.

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S.
Thanks guys. I felt around on the pallet fork frame for any bad welds, didn't notice anything. Also, while the nut on the SSQA lever assembly can be rotated CW and CCW easily, it does not appear to change the height of that bolt. I was hoping I could pull the bolt height down with that adjustment, but it does not seem to be the case. I'll goof around with it and try your suggestsion jmc.

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S.
I see the problem...that the bolt is interfering with the tab. The SSQA lever cannot move on over to its proper over center position. I'd say, that it is NOT safe to use it as is because the RH lever needs to move far enough CCW to go over center so that the lever will self-lock.

But I'm not quite clear on why changing to the new pallet fork frame would cause that. The only possibility I see is that the vertical tapered engagement pin on the right is not dropping down as far as the one on the left. If there is some pin engagement it would be safe to stick your head under it or lift it far enough to see if the pin is engaging - just don't work with it until we get the overcenter latch to properly snap closed.

You got me curious enough to wade through the snow to look at mine on the M59 - but it doesn't even have the bolt and tab that yours does. My kubota's older SSQA relies totally on the L shaped lever going over center until it contacts the surface of the SSQA . Just as your LH one does, but without the bolt & tab.

I suppose that to use the pallet forks you could readjust that bolt. Is that a spring ball on the end of that bolt? If so all the better. A readjust to slightly shorten it to fit under the tab would make it safe to use - but then have to be adjusted back for the regular bucket..... unless you just get lucky with it. Maybe that is what to do. ....yes, here is what to try: Make a minimal adjustment to shorten the bolt so it just fits under the RH tab - if so......and if the bolt does what I am guessing it does, it will be safe with the forks and may also work with the bucket.
luck,
rScotty
So I just fiddled with the nut that captures the spring on the SSQA lever. Unfortunately, it does not change the height of the bolt at all, it only changes the height of the block that puts tension on the spring, presumably to adjust the tension correctly for the lever.

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S. #6  
So I just fiddled with the nut that captures the spring on the SSQA lever. Unfortunately, it does not change the height of the bolt at all, it only changes the height of the block that puts tension on the spring, presumably to adjust the tension correctly for the lever.
Looks like you'll have to grind a little bit on the square hole where the wedge/pin of the SSQA enters the fork frame. This is allow the pin to go further down and the nut on top should no longer hit that tab.

/ Artillian pallet fork frame issue w/BX23S. #7  
Are you sure that the pallet frame is seated against the SSQA frame tightly? In your picture, looks like a gap between the 2 parts not allowing the frame to close that gap so that it will lock up to the SSQA. You could try kicking the pallet frame to see if it will seat it tighter to your SSQA. Also, measure the height on the pallet frame where the SSQA sits up in it, then see what the distances are down at the holes where the lock slide down into to compare. Could be possible you might have a pallet frame out of spec here. Seen it before.

If your bucket attaches with no problem, you`ve likely got a pallet frame issue.