AT what RPM do you engage your cutter?

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #21  
I've made it plain I am not even close to being a mechanic, but on our Case CX80, when we disengaged the independent PTO at speed, it just free wheeled and spooled down slowly and I am curious how this was harmful? We operated it that way as that is what we were told by the dealer.

Two ways,
If you have a pto brake the moment it is applied at high rpms it starts burning the brake down, while your brake is holding and your blades are still turning at top speed your putting added presure on your pto drive line and your u-joints. Also have seen it snap the gear box shaft and tear up gears in the gear box due to it knocking out the input bearings.

If your tractor has a clutch pack then your adding extra wear and tear on that as it tries to stop but the force of the blades are causing it to still turn and wear your clutch linings with in the pto pack.

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #22  
When using my Bush Hog, I always engage the PTO lever at idle speed when starting to mow. I try to start the mower on a clear section before engaging the PTO and then increase the RPM's that is listed in the manual before hitting the high grass. When disengaging the PTO lever, I resume the idle speed. I have a gear drive L4400 with a clutch.

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #23  
Two ways,
If you have a pto brake the moment it is applied at high rpms it starts burning the brake down, while your brake is holding and your blades are still turning at top speed your putting added presure on your pto drive line and your u-joints. Also have seen it snap the gear box shaft and tear up gears in the gear box due to it knocking out the input bearings.

If your tractor has a clutch pack then your adding extra wear and tear on that as it tries to stop but the force of the blades are causing it to still turn and wear your clutch linings with in the pto pack.

Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
   / AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #24  
I engage and disengage all pto equipment on my tractors at idle speeds giving them time to wind up and down. I also try to limit the on/off sycles to a minimum too.

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #25  
i generally engage my pto at 1500rpms then push it up to 1800 or 2000rpms an work.

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #26  
The poster who mentioned what system engages & disengages the PTO brings nailed it--different systems allow different practices.
I (JD 3520 for MX5) engage at 1500 so the engine can get it turning (per manual) without lugging it; disengaging I pull back the throttle & disengage the PTO as the engine/PTO are decelerating.
For tiller, spreader, sweeper & low mass implements I go at or hust above idle; your engine must have the torque in the powerband to get things going without being lugged down by the implement.
Best practice: follow the manual.:thumbsup:

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #27  
At idle and then throttle up.

/ AT what RPM do you engage your cutter? #28  
Easy does it for me as well. No need to flog it at high RPM until the blades are extended by centrifugal force.