attached garage heating ideas

/ attached garage heating ideas #41  
Your duct idea will not give you enough btus to give you enough heat. It will never be able to give you intermittent heat. It will have to run all the time to do anything worth speaking of. Same goes for the water idea. You could run a heat loop from your hot water heater to a used radiator. You would have to crank up the hot water heater to 160 minimum and use a mixing valve for your domestic hot water so no one gets scalded. Also you could not let the garage get below 32. You can get a williams wall furnace ( thats what I would do ). It is direct vent. No duct work. It used to cost around 500 for a 30000 btu furnace. You cut a hole in the wall, hang a bracket, then your good to go. You could plug in a few longhi oil filled radiators. It would set you back less than 100. Electric baseboard would be an cheep option. While the cost to run electric heat would be higher think of the amount of time you would be running it. If your talking a few hours a few days each week the extra cost would not be that much. A radiant heater would be the most cost efficient to run if you would run the heat all the time. Radiant heat does not do very well if you wanted to keep the heat low than raise the heat when you were in there. I have radiant heat in my shop along with a boiler which works iron radiators and a fan powered blower. The radiant tube heater runs a constant 45 along with the radiators which are in 2 other rooms. When I go into the shop and want to raise the temp I use the blower and the tube radiant heater to raise the temp in the main garage ( 30 x 25 x 16 ). I use the radiators in the paint room ( 30x16x8) and in the metal working room( 15x10x8). I use less than 320 gals of propane per year to keep place nice. This may sound stupid but I just started wearing a wool cap. I find that it is pleasant working with the temp set at 45 to 50. Tom

/ attached garage heating ideas #42  
Over the years I've tried just about everything suggested so far but the OH gas furnace worked the best. You will have a day into the installation but when you are done it will heat the best with zero maintenance.

Modine Hot Dawg Heater | QC Supply

/ attached garage heating ideas #43  
Plasma cutter me likes that;)

Heres that TSC UNIT HEATER:
Regular Price: $649.99HEATER BIG MAXX 45000 BTU LP
SKU # 215043
Vendor Part # MHU45LP
Brand: ENERCO MR HEATER CORP

i have a similar 125,000 btu hanging unit...i use it for an hour to knock off the cold, then turn it off and can work for hours out there. and oh yes...i love my plasma cutter cnc table.....its comes to the rescue so many times over the years. its hard to see the table thru the gate, but its a 4x10 unit. heres a gate i built last year.

Attachments

• P1301166.JPG
    P1301166.JPG
    690.2 KB · Views: 462
  • P7261324.JPG
    P7261324.JPG
    694.6 KB · Views: 355
   / attached garage heating ideas #44  
I bought a used mobile home furnace (80,000 BTU) for my attached garage. On cold days I fire up the kerosene slamander and mobile home furnace (also runs on kero). After about a half hour I unplug the noisy salamander and the furnace will keep my garage at the 60 degrees I have it set for.

/ attached garage heating ideas #45  
What a fence. Tom