Attaching FELs

/ Attaching FELs #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Took the loader off my 2615 for the summer and had a difficult time getting the left hand pin out. I'm having a concrete pad poured in the barn so its sitting on a level surface, I'm told this is important.
Today I had to put it back on so that they can pour the pad. Took about an hour to get that same pin back in. Finally got the pin halfway in and took it down to the garage where I was on a flat surface. Helped a little but I still had to fiddle with it. What am I doing wrong? I followed Masseys instructions. It was so close to being a perfect alignment that I couldn't believe it wouldn't go.
I might have the pin turned down .075"

/ Attaching FELs #2  
Hi Mark, I have the same problem at times with my Kubota. I always remove/install the FEL with it on a slab of cement. But the tractor is usually on the ground. Most times the right pin goes all the way in but the left one does not. But as long as the pin goes in at least halfway you can pick up the FEL, move it to a different area, pick the front of the tractor again and try to push the pin all the way in. Most of the time it works on the second try and I usually don't have to move very far. Sometimes just a few inches is enough.

JohnZ
B7500

/ Attaching FELs #3  
I have to do mine on a dirt floor of on old barn that I just use so concrete is not an option. I do have an old shaft out of something that is tapered down on one end so that fits in the holes in my loader with room to spare. for some reason my left pin goes in fine but I have to take the shaft and line up the right one. It takes very little to line it up and it sure makes life easier.

/ Attaching FELs #4  
This is interesting. If it is a topic that has come up here before I missed the discussion. My first tractor with a loader (Kubota B7500) had the QD hydraulic connections right at the joystick. I never mow with the FEL on, so one of the things I looked for when searching for my current tractor (L3200) was a handy QD fitting location. Some of the tractors I looked at had them under the platform and a used MF had one that would be really difficult to reach. Since the only FEL's I was familiar with were off or on in less than a minute, I pictured the QD location to be the biggest area of concern.

That was until we took the FEL off of the Montana 3840(?) at work. We have it around to help with snow removal in the winter, some light bush hogging and general FEL use. We wanted to do some mowing where the length of the tractor / fel / bush hog was a problem. Based on my only experience with FEL's I figured it was no big deal to remove the Montana's FEL for a few weeks till we got the weeds and brush under control. I was wrong. What I thought would take a few minutes turned into an ordeal that required hammers, drift punches and a cheering section from the Tool Shop. This was on a concrete floor.

On my Kubotas, if the FEL had the front wheels off the ground, the big pins slid in and out of the frame like a precision instrument. There was no looking for a sweet spot. If the wheels are off the ground, you're good. Not so with the Montana. If I recall correctly, the right pin was free enough to drive out with a little FEL down pressure. It's probably going to be a bear to get back on in a week or two.

As a side note, the Montana is a handy thing to have around, but the purchase was a mistake. My predecessor and another guy who thought he knew all about tractors made the deal and it was delivered not long after I accepted the position as Facilities Mgr. One guy briefed me on the tractor, telling me this was the first one and we would be getting more of them. They were going to have quick attach forks and be used for moving materials on our jobsites. I told him the tractor wouldn't be capable of doing what they thought and asked where they got the idea it would be. I forget what he said the FEL capacity was from their "research", but asked if he was sure they were looking at the correct end of the tractor. Sure enough, the "lift capacity" they were quoting was for the 3PH.

After delivery and having the tires filled with dense foam, we had a little demonstration. With the RPM's up I attempted to pick something we would typically move on a jobsite. As the load came up, so did one rear tire. At that point, the Montana became a toy in our arsenal at the shop. No more was mentioned about replacing our Gradall 544D telehandlers with little green tractors.

/ Attaching FELs #5  
I simply use a 2*4 piece of lumber as a lever. Once pin is started a small amount of pressure on the 2*4 to help make the alignment perfect so pin slides in is easy. Once I started doing this getting pins in / out turned into a breeze.

On a Kubota B2620 I can drop the FEL or BH in less than a minute and attaching takes about 2 minutes. I do it every weekend it seems and its done outside on the yard. Couldn't imagine doing it though without the 2*4 for a lever to help get the pins in / out.

I also wipe of the pins every time I pull them with a rag and light layer of white lith. grease.

/ Attaching FELs #6  
Hi Mark, I have the same problem at times with my Kubota. I always remove/install the FEL with it on a slab of cement. But the tractor is usually on the ground. Most times the right pin goes all the way in but the left one does not. But as long as the pin goes in at least halfway you can pick up the FEL, move it to a different area, pick the front of the tractor again and try to push the pin all the way in. Most of the time it works on the second try and I usually don't have to move very far. Sometimes just a few inches is enough.

JohnZ
B7500
Check the air in your tires..............sounds like one may be low. That would be the only explanation to your problem