Automatic TBN Photo processing

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing #1  

Buck

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 790 (2001)
Fellow TBN'ers,

I wrote a command line utility that will compress and or resize your input JPEG file to TBN minimum requirements. For Windows 95,98, NT, 2000, and XP.

Specifically, it will try compressing your JPEG harder and if this doesn't work, it'll interpolate the picture down by 25% and try compressing with the series of compression parameters again. This process continues until the goal is met.

The compression applied is always practically visually lossless.

This is a command line utility. I've enclosed a screen shot of what a command line utility looks like. If you have never run programs with windows that look like this, then I wouldn't try it.

If you are a TBM official, I would be glad to provide an "NT Service" to this effect if you are using NT.

To get the utility email me at:

buck@automa.com

Subject: TBN Photo

Buck

Attachments

• 35-155128-tbn.jpg
    35-155128-tbn.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 110
   / Automatic TBN Photo processing #2  
<font color=blue>compress and or resize your input JPEG file to TBN minimum requirements</font color=blue>

I'm not aware of any minimum requirements, Buck, but there are definitely some maximum limits. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

A while back (before TBN took over my life), I wrote some Unix utilities that would resize, compress and/or rotate picture files as they were uploaded from browser to server. It was for a do-it-yourself online photo album site I was thinking of launching. About that time, several big sites started offering free online photo albums, so I canned the whole idea and went looking for a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I'm guessing if Muhammad wanted such capability for TBN, he could do a better job than I did.
wink.gif

Sounds like you might have a useful local utility for Windows-oriented people. Let's see how many "beta testers" you get.
smile.gif

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing #3  
<font color=blue>A while back (before TBN took over my life), </font color=blue>

Phew, so I am not the only freak out there /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I was beginning to wonder............ /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Harv, maybe you could chair the inaugural TBN Annonymous meeting??

Cheers

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing
Harv,

I went through a similar experience several years ago. I wrote an imaging package for Windows. Writing this was a totally absorbing process that lasted a year an a half.

Then I put it out on the market, taking out ads, 800 numbers, getting brochures, etc. I ended up spending about $10,000/month in advertising. I was selling world wide, had distribution, and was getting calls from Italy at 2 AM! Marketing, I found, was more time consuming than development. Finally, after I spent two years in this mode, I sold the business to a company in NYC.

No. I did not make money, I lost around 20K, and almost my marriage.

However, it is still satisfying to see parts of that code in products today. I will never forget when I read of a large Japanese camera manufacturer buying the rights to the code from the company I sold to. I don't know how much they paid, but my guess is that they paid enough to make the owner very happy. Sometimes a lot of persistence is not enough.

I too am happy now with my land, my family, my job and my tractor!

Buck

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing #5  
<font color=blue>I did not make money</font color=blue>

Yeah, Buck, it sounds like if you and I teamed up, we could lose everything. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I have already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am a much better computer geek than I am a businessman, but I haven't given up yet.
crazy.gif

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing
Harv,

but I haven't given up yet

Just remember, the difference between you and them is that you are an honest man.

Buck

/ Automatic TBN Photo processing #7  
<font color=blue>the difference between you and them is that you are an honest man.</font color=blue>

Hope that doesn't mean I'm destined to be broke the rest of my life.
crazy.gif