Aux Hydraulic Pump?

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump? #1  

jimmer2880

Platinum Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota BX1830
I picked up an F16d in July and am finally ready to start putting some features on it. Amongst others, there will be a FEL & power steering hopefully in the near future. I think I'm going to do the power steering first, then the FEL 2nd.

Been lurking for a while on this board (wow, there really are some smart people here), looking at problems others have had, etc. I think I have talked myself into adding an auxilary hydraulic pump to power the power steering, FEL & any other hydraulic's I end up putting on (like, a hyd upper link) on the 3 pt.).

However, looking under the hood of my F16, I dont' see any way to add a belt ran hydraulic pump. I see the water pump (which also spins the fan), and an alternator & the crank pully. But, it sure is tight under there. It doesn't look like there is enough room for a 2nd belt. And, there are some lines which stick forward on the side opposite of the alternator, so I can't mount the pump on that side either.

Unless someone here has figured something else out, I think I'm stuck with a crank mounted pump. This kind of bumbs me out, as I was hoping to (some day) move my MMM drive from the rear PTO to a crank mounted, Front PTO.

Thoughts?

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump? #2  
There are PTO driven aux pumps available. Add an extender shaft and you can still use your pto driven 3point equipment. Some of the folks here that are more knowlegable about it than me can likely tell you more about it. Had one on an old Oliver tractor I used to own. Powered the FEL and steering even though it had the built in pump. Never felt like changing out the setup so just left it as it was. Worked quite well for me.

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump?
Goldchaser said:
There are PTO driven aux pumps available. Add an extender shaft and you can still use your pto driven 3point equipment. Some of the folks here that are more knowlegable about it than me can likely tell you more about it. Had one on an old Oliver tractor I used to own. Powered the FEL and steering even though it had the built in pump. Never felt like changing out the setup so just left it as it was. Worked quite well for me.

Thank you. However, I need my rear PTO to power my MMM :(

I have thought about just using the tractor supplied pump, but I think I'd like a 2nd circuit so I don't need to worry about over-working the factory mounted pump.

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump? #4  
jimmer2880 said:
Thank you. However, I need my rear PTO to power my MMM :(

I have thought about just using the tractor supplied pump, but I think I'd like a 2nd circuit so I don't need to worry about over-working the factory mounted pump.

Ask around,( some of the dealers here) you may be able to get a higher volume pump for your f-16

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump? #5  
I've replaced the OEM pumps on some Yanmars with larger capacity pumps. I had one customer that wanted to use a loader mounted post hole digger. I think there is probably one available for your tractor with 25% more capacity. It would be a lot simplier than a front pump & a pto pump can be a pain. The standard pump has enough capacity for a loader & probably powersteering.

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump?
lens12 said:
I've replaced the OEM pumps on some Yanmars with larger capacity pumps. I had one customer that wanted to use a loader mounted post hole digger. I think there is probably one available for your tractor with 25% more capacity. It would be a lot simplier than a front pump & a pto pump can be a pain. The standard pump has enough capacity for a loader & probably powersteering.

Wow - great. Thank you. Yes, that does sound like it would be better than trying to mount an aux pump.

/ Aux Hydraulic Pump?
As an update. I was having troubles locating an actuated cylinder Power Steering cylinder which would fit my little F16. What I did come across, is a great man, Rick Davis, from Add on tractor power steering conversion kits..

Rick suggested using an "Orbital Hand Pump" (like what John Deere puts on their 318, 420, etc line). I will need to swap out my steering column. But, it only uses .8 - 1.5 GPM. He is also hooking me up with a used cylinder greatly reducing my cost.

I'll be sure to take plenty of pic's of my install :)