B1550 advice/opinions please

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #1  

Cigar50

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Long time lurker, obviously not a poster. However came across a B1550, 4WD,HST with a MMM, no FEL. Just over 900hrs. Has decent maintenance and repair (few repairs) records and receipts, owner manuals. Looks well cared for and has always been covered/garaged/barned. I checked with a local Kubota dealer parts counter and service parts appear to be available (filters/belts) while replacement parts are a case by case basis, at least according to the counter guy.

This machine fits my use case and would replace an old Cub Cadet rider that needs retired. Mostly mowing, approx 1 acre+, but have some use ideas for the the 3 point.

So what does everyone think? Should I consider purchasing this machine? Known issues or things I should ask or look for? The owner said that he is "thinking of selling" so hasn't given me a number yet. I just wanted to get an idea from folks who know more than I if this is a good machine and worth trying to pick up. If you want to throw some dollar value numbers at me, that would be appreciated.

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #2  
I bought a B1750HST with PS, Bi-Speed Turn, and 60" MMM (with very rarely used powered grass catcher) new in 1993. No FEL. The 1750 is essentially the same machine as the 1550 aside from a bit more displacement and HP.

In the 30+ years that I have owned it, it has needed absolutely nothing aside from oils, filters, and several batteries. Not a fuse, hose, fan belt, lamp, nothing.

Yes, it gets very good maintenance, is kept inside, and is not abused.

I replaced one spindle bearing on the deck a few years ago and changed the belt while I had it off.

My B1750 has been the absolute best major purchase of my lifetime.

Last edited:
   / B1550 advice/opinions please
SDT, that is very impressive. Speaks well for this generation of Kubota. Gives me some confidence. Mind sharing how many hours on your machine?

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #4  
This machine would replace an old Cub Cadet rider that needs retirement. Mostly mowing, approx 1 acre+

For 1 acre the B1550 will be adequate. The B1550 will be two increments more capable than your Cub Cadet.

Most second tractor buyers place a high value on the FEL, but perhaps not you.
Mowing is the best application for this tractor.

I have some use ideas for the the 3 point.

Last edited:
jeff, no doubt you are correct about FEL. Fortunately in my case I have a larger CUT that has a FEL for other chores, however at lack of one for the B1550 does way on my decision (slightly) as should I ever sell, it does become just a fancy lawn mower. Guess that is what it currently is. Appreciate the thoughts.

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #6  
Those early Kubotas are excellent tractors, if my 2005 B7510 HST with MMM and hydraulic outlet is any indicator. Like Mr. Cigar, I have three other loaders on the farm, and so don't miss one on the mower. It's still a versatile tractor with a hydraulic outlet for block splitter or dump trailer. The 3 point hitch is strong and reliable on a chipper and 4' bush hog.

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #7  
SDT, that is very impressive. Speaks well for this generation of Kubota. Gives me some confidence. Mind sharing how many hours on your machine?
It has about 675 hours now and will be for sale within a month or so as I am relocating across the country.

Forgot to mention that I added tubes to the front tires 15-20 years ago when they would no longer reliably hold air tubeless.

/ B1550 advice/opinions please #8  
Long time lurker, obviously not a poster. However came across a B1550, 4WD,HST with a MMM, no FEL. Just over 900hrs. Has decent maintenance and repair (few repairs) records and receipts, owner manuals. Looks well cared for and has always been covered/garaged/barned. I checked with a local Kubota dealer parts counter and service parts appear to be available (filters/belts) while replacement parts are a case by case basis, at least according to the counter guy.

This machine fits my use case and would replace an old Cub Cadet rider that needs retired. Mostly mowing, approx 1 acre+, but have some use ideas for the the 3 point.

So what does everyone think? Should I consider purchasing this machine? Known issues or things I should ask or look for? The owner said that he is "thinking of selling" so hasn't given me a number yet. I just wanted to get an idea from folks who know more than I if this is a good machine and worth trying to pick up. If you want to throw some dollar value numbers at me, that would be appreciated.
Perfect replacement for the old Cub Cadet. They were good little tractors and Kubota made lots for a long time - so parts should be available.
With enough options and accessories made for that model to turn searching for them into a hobby.
I've always felt that the "sweet spot" in small tractors is in an older model well cared for. There was a time when small tractors - like large ones - were built to last a person's lifetime with normal maintenance.
rScotty

rScotty thanks for the positive assessment. Agree on well cared for older models, they're out there. The owner of this one hasn't come up with an asking price yet and I don't want to be too pushy about it. So I'll just have to wait and see how things work out.