B2400 Front axle leak (Pivot)

/ B2400 Front axle leak (Pivot) #1  

HPTPR90

Tractor
Kubota B2400
Hey guys, I have a B2400 HSD 4wd with 730hrs. I bought it at 620hrs about 6 years ago. So not much use. My issue concerns the center front axle (pivot?) joint which is leaking oil.
I first noticed it a few years ago and my Kubota dealer said since it was only leaking a few drops a day.. and since I dont use the tractor much, to just monitor the oil level on the axle dipstick and add 80w
oil when necessary. He said it would be expensive to fix the seal. So, last weekend, I filled the axle with 80w oil and I used the tractor for a few hours of field mowing. I checked yesterday and there was no oil on the dipstick.
I was worried that I could have damaged something but I've been told by a coworker that the front axle oil was only in there for the 4wd gear. And since I was using 2wd, it wouldnt have damaged anything. Does anyone know if
that is accurate? If it is, I would definitely not use the 4wd until I get the seal fixed. My property is flat anyway. Thanks for your input!

/ B2400 Front axle leak (Pivot) #2  
could not see it hurting anything either. i would think that you would need lots of running time to heat it up enough to hurt it. When you topped it off, did you recheck it in about 30 minutes as the fluid's disburse thru the axle. the 90 wt is so thick it takes time. I just had my front wheel seals replaced on mine at the dealers...750 hours... cost about $350. i have no idea what a pivot seal would cost to fix. ive never had a unit leak at that spot. Have had several wheel seals fail. this is generally from caring too many heavy loads up front ive been told, but heck thats why i have the tractor. i have to move lots of generators with it.

/ B2400 Front axle leak (Pivot) #3  
All the gears and stuff in the front axle assy are turning over even in 2wd.
And it does take awhile for the lube level to settle.
Have you adjusted the torque on the front axle pivot?
That may help the leak?
Find the procedure in your operators manual.

Good Luck!

/ B2400 Front axle leak (Pivot) #4  
Do you have Bi-Speed Turn? If so, it is a pain to change out the rear o-ring. The Bi Speed gear case must be disassembled to replace the $1.90 O-ring.