B7800 hsd or L3400

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #21  
I have pretty much decided to got with the l3400 with Hydro.

I have been doing some research on subsoilers.
I found specs on a Worksaver, Inc R-130 single shank subsoiler. It says it needs 30hp or more, do you think the 3400 could handle It?

I read somewhere that if you have four wheel drive that increases the actual pulling power rating of your tractor. If this is true is there a formula I can use to figure out what size tools the machine can handle?

Wishing I had a good dealer next door. I gues st.croix would need alot more people living here to support that and then I probably wouldnt want to live here anymore.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #22  
The four wheel drive with loaders and many attachments is good for a near 10 to 20% increase in pulling power. In sloppy conditions it could be more!

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #23  
art said:
I'm not going to say a hydro won't break, but I will say they for sure break a lot less then gear drives of any style will. We've been selling them for over thirty years and they do hold up better then any other style transmission overall but they do have there downfalls.

Just curious ... what kind of "breaking" are you seeing in the gear drives and is the "breaking" usually caused by operator error, normal wear (clutch), or what? Thanks.

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #24  
RayMunising said:
Just curious ... what kind of "breaking" are you seeing in the gear drives and is the "breaking" usually caused by operator error, normal wear (clutch), or what? Thanks.

The hydro is the most user forgiving transmission being built for what we've seen! Operator error is the biggest problem with gear drives, grating, riding the clutch, horsing the gear levers when they actually might need some lubrication, and did I forget the children?

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #26  
gilliganfarmer said:
I have pretty much decided to got with the l3400 with Hydro.

I have been doing some research on subsoilers.
I found specs on a Worksaver, Inc R-130 single shank subsoiler. It says it needs 30hp or more, do you think the 3400 could handle It?

I read somewhere that if you have four wheel drive that increases the actual pulling power rating of your tractor. If this is true is there a formula I can use to figure out what size tools the machine can handle?

Wishing I had a good dealer next door. I gues st.croix would need alot more people living here to support that and then I probably wouldnt want to live here anymore.
I pull an old Ford subsoiler with my L3400 (geared). It's about the same size as the Worksaver, but not parabolic. No problems with power, but I lose traction in areas with roots, even with the loader on and filled tires (R4s).

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #27  
art said:
The four wheel drive with loaders and many attachments is good for a near 10 to 20% increase in pulling power. In sloppy conditions it could be more!
I know with my L3400 there is a big differnce between 2WD and 4WD. If I am using the loader to scoop dirt I will get some rear wheel spin on 2WD. If I put it in 4WD it scoops up the dirt like going through melted butter:)

/ B7800 hsd or L3400 #28  
Thanks for the info on the strength of the 3400.

Hopefully before long I will figure out the best way to get it down here and I can tell you guys how it pulls in my soil!