backhoe attachment?

/ backhoe attachment? #1  

johndeerefarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 6105R, Deere 620, Deere 340G, Deere 329D
I currently have a backhoe attachment for my Deere skid steer. Works great but you have to keep crawling back in the cab to move the backhoe to the next part of the ditch that you are digging. On the Deere small tractors is there a way you can stay in the seat and move the tractor farther down the ditch?

Second, how hard and how much time does it take to take the backhoe off and install and use the 3 point hitch? (frame mounted backhoes not 3 point)

Thanks

/ backhoe attachment? #2  
I currently have a backhoe attachment for my Deere skid steer. Works great but you have to keep crawling back in the cab to move the backhoe to the next part of the ditch that you are digging. On the Deere small tractors is there a way you can stay in the seat and move the tractor farther down the ditch?

Second, how hard and how much time does it take to take the backhoe off and install and use the 3 point hitch? (frame mounted backhoes not 3 point)

Thanks
Depends on the tractor, your competence level and the terrain. If the tractor is shuttle shift and the conditions allow, you can reach back and put it in gear. Obviously this requires that you are physically capable of reaching the shifter. I used to do that with my Kubota L35 regularly. Some tractors have "safety" features that would not allow you to do that and not everyone is flexible enough to reach the controls. If you can put the tractor in neutral, (and again depending on the situation) you can often more it forward or backward with the backhoe. Raise the outriggers, dig the bucket in and pull or push yourself where you need to go.

/ backhoe attachment? #3  
   / backhoe attachment? #4  
I have a JD 2520 with Model 46 backhoe. Takes me about 20 minutes to convert to/from backhoe and is very easy with no tools (well, okay, sometimes I use a rubber hammer to encourage the front pins into the holes). Would take less time if I did it more often.

If I don't set the brakes, I can raise the loader bucket and stabilizers and move the tractor with the backhoe bucket from the backhoe operator seat. However, this can be difficult on sloping terrain, or rough ground. Other repositioning takes moving from the backhoe seat to the operator seat.