Backhoe Backhoe position on a trailer

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
When chaining a BX24 down to a trailer, in what position should the backhoe be?
  • Up in its parked position with the pins in place?
  • With the bucket resting on the trailer with the boom and dipperstick in a /\ type of position?
  • With the bucket resting on the trailer with the boom lowered but the dipperstick all the way in? /|
...assuming that the trailer length will accommodate any of these positions with room to spare.

Thanks

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #2  
I lock the boom in both directions, so that the dipperstick can't rotate left to right or front to back. I then run an additional strap around the back of the bucket, pulling forward to prevent that part of the boom from moving.

If you don't lock the stick in place then you need more strapping to do the job of the pins that were designed to do it for you.

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #3  
Well Ray I have heard that the proper way, according to DOT, is your option #2 with a chain and binder securing the bucket. That said, I see TLB’s both private and commercial with the boom up and I assume pinned running down the road all the time.

MarkV

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #4  
MarkV said:
Well Ray I have heard that the proper way, according to DOT, is your option #2 with a chain and binder securing the bucket. That said, I see TLBç—´ both private and commercial with the boom up and I assume pinned running down the road all the time.

I agree. However, my understanding is that Option #2 is compulsory for the much larger and heavier industrial machines.

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #5  
I go with option #3.

I also bunji cord the dipper stick in float position.

28672hoedown.jpg

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #6  
I trailer my BX-24 on almost a weekly basis using your option #2. When my tractor was delivered by the dealer that is the way they had it on the trailer. I use a strap (reinforced with fire hose) at the base of the backhoe to secure the rear of the tractor. With the bucket out and down it balances my trailer better than having the bucket up.

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #7  
I trailer mine with it tied down as your option two with a ratchet strap also holding bucket to the trailer bed. I think this also takes some stress off of the bellhousing of the tractor as it takes some of the flex away compared to the bucket in the air.
Gary

/ Backhoe position on a trailer #8  
FWIW This is how my GL3240 was delivered. When this picture was taken we had already removed the chain which held down the back-hoe bucket.

Talon Dancer

Attachments

• IMG_4542crp.jpg
    IMG_4542crp.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 856
   / Backhoe position on a trailer
It seems as though everyone has a different way of transporting. Here's how my BX was delivered.

Attachments

• IMG_6759.JPG
    IMG_6759.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 868
   / Backhoe position on a trailer #10  
I have read the regs on cargo securement, but can't find the pdf right now. From memory, if the load is under 10,000# there are few requirements (federally). States may enact regs. You do need 2 chains (or straps) on a load under 10k and 4 for loads over 10k. An attachment like a hoe requires a separate chain and the bucket must be on the deck. What I don't recall is if that is for all hoe's or only over 10k, so take it with a grain of salt!

I personally feel that you should have 3 chains for small TLB's (under 10k). 2 for the machine and 1 for the hoe and that the bucket should be on the deck.

Last point is that most delivery examples are no indication of what is legal.

If you are using this for a farm or hobby farm or even to do good deeds, you may be technically a commercial vehicle and may require a USDOT number and a lot of other B as is b, S as in s. Some states are strict and others are lax. I just checked and the OP is in PA --> a lax state. No USDOT or other stuff needed. However, don't even think about crossing state lines without some planning and checking with the other states. You will be easy pickings for the tax police.

jb