Backhoe Won稚 Move

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #1  

AK geehaw

Tractor
580K phase 3 Backhoe
I see the moderator moved my intro here. But I thought I would add more information. When I bought this hoe it was still warm here and it worked fine. But as it got colder it didn稚 want to move without tarping it and putting a heater under it. But the last time I got it running backed it out of its spot and the engine quit. Well I had ice in the fuel line. I got it thawed and started but even though I have gotten the machine heated it refuses to move and has become a lawn decoration.

Well have managed to get a pressure tester but adapting it to any of the ports to test pressure has proved to be difficult at best. So I hope that some can lead me in the right direction to trouble shoot this thing. So far I am under the impression it is either the charge pump or toward reverse valve. I hope to get the tester hooked up to the reverse port this weekend. The forward port is really inaccessible But I don稚 believe I need to test both since it does not go forward or reverse.

But if I have the correct pressure there does this tell me the valve is bad? And how do you get this valve off? Do you have to drop the transaxle? I have found it impossible to reach the rear bolts on the valve. And there is a selonoid on the front of this valve. It seems to be just an electromagnet. The shaft it goes on don稚 seem to move or attache to the selinoid in anyway How does this work and what does it do? The wires were disconnected on it.

Well that is where I am at with it at moment. Any advice would be greatly accepted.
Greg

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #2  
Being there was water in the fuel, what does the torque converter fluid look like..?? I recall reading about the older models getting sluggish, when it got cold, but, would eventually move, once warmed up. Then, there were some that still would not move, like yours. The problem seemed to be the power shuttle sump filter screen was plugged. They either cleaned, or replaced that filter screen, along with a fluid change, and were then, good to go.

Here's a link to Case Construction showing the filter (#10). Official Case Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Look Up. Parts for Case Equipment and Construction Equipment. Parts Store for Case Wheel Loaders, Case Excavators, Case Skid Steers, Case Original Parts. I have no idea if this one is a washable one or not. Looks like you'll need a pan gasket too, unless to an make one.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move
Thanks DJ54 for that. But that is from a phase 1. It is totally different on the phase 3. There is no pan on the torgue converter housing.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #4  
   / Backhoe Won稚 Move
Yes that is the one I have and yes I changed the filter.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #6  
Beyond that, I can't help. Was really hoping someone else may have chimed in by now. A bit of advice when posting a thread, is to put the model number in the heading, to catch someone scrolling through, attention.

Got to ask if you have a service manual..?? The one I have for my 480C is very descriptive on repairs, as far as describing/showing with step by step directions, along with pictures of the procedure.

I hate to spend someone else's money, but found a new, high quality reprint of the manual for your specific machine (phase3) on ebay. $151.20 w/free shipping. CASE 58K (PHASE 3) Loader Backhoe Service Manual Repair Shop Book NEW w/Binder | eBay It may be the ticket, to help you out here.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move
Yes I have a service manual but mine seems to not be that descriptive. Well we had a heat wave here and temps hit 32 F after an hour of heat it moved. I managed to check the pressures at the reverse valve and had plenty. I am beginning to think it need the oil changed.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #8  
It will be interesting to see what the fluid looks like, or see if there is any sludge that comes out. Almost sounds like it is contaminated with water.

/ Backhoe Won稚 Move #9  
I agree that you probably have water in the oil, forming an ice dam in a passage somewhere when its cold.

Had similar happen on my Ford 5500. Wanted to move it one cold morning and it wouldn't. Started okay because block heater was plugged in for a few hours. But no forward or reverse. (It has a TC tranny too). So about 2 more hours underneath with a small butane torch and the wifes hair dryer and finally got it to move.

Drained/flushed/refilled trans with fresh oil