Backhoe BACKHOE

/ BACKHOE #1  

DIRTCUTTER

Silver Member
Tractor
CK30 HST
I JUST TALKED TO MY KIOTI DEALER AND HE WANTS $195 FOR RUBBER PADS FOR MY OUTRIGGERS TO PROTECT MY CONCRETE AND STREET. I THINK THATS TO MUCH MONEY FOR SOMETHING I WONT USE THAT OFTEN AM IN THE FIELD MOST OF THE TIME. ANY IDEAS

/ BACKHOE #2  
I believe mine were around $185.00.
I agree, they're expensive, but replacing a section of my concrete drive or sidewalk would be more.
Sorry I can't help with the alternatives.
Tom

/ BACKHOE #3  
You could buy a rubber workshop mat from a tractor supply, home depot or similar place. Cut it into little squares to fit the pad frame and stack them until you have enough. You will probably need 2-3 square feet of mat per side. Attach using existing holes if possble or drill your own and use a 5/16" carriage bolt with a fender washer on the bottom of the pad. As you tighten the stack, the carriage bolt head will not touch the concrete. You should be able to make your own this way for $35 or less. It would be easily removeable. If you wanted to get fancy, you could glue the layers together

___________ < pad frame with nut on top
PAD | PAD
PAD | PAD < bolt going through layers of rubber mat
PAD | PAD
------ < fender washer
[] < bolt head

/ BACKHOE #4  
Look at the first pix in kiotamike's post on your other question. His frame appears to be about 8"x8" and only about 2" deep. 5-9 layers of mat would work fine as long they extended below the bottom of the frame by at least 1.5" to allow for compressing. Another option would be to get one of the laminated loading dock bumper blocks that you see attached to warehouses and the backs of some trucks. They are made from recylcled tire sidewalls.

/ BACKHOE #5  
Can I ask what you are doing on the street and a concrete pad with the BH without sounding too dumb?

Steve

/ BACKHOE #6  
You also might be able to make a pad out of hockey pucks. They are made from vulcanized rubber. They are about an inch thick and you could drill a hole through it and bolt it to the pad. You could probably get four to an outrigger. I live out in the woods and will probably never have a need for the rubber pads but definitely the dirt pads. Just trying to think of an inexpensive out for you.

/ BACKHOE #7  
Just think, if you could make a set for 35$ you could sell them here on TBN for a mere 100$ and make some cash.

/ BACKHOE #8  
Yeah, you could even customize them by using your favorite NHL team logo pucks. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ BACKHOE #9  
My 9' Wallenstein backhoe has a "U" shaped channel for stabilizer pad.What I did was add a 16" piece of oak cut to fit the inside of channel. The 16" oak gives me a good footprint on soft soil,and works great on blacktop,and cement. The normal footprint of the pad was 9". The oak is held in place by two 1/2" carriage bolts,recessed into the face.