Buying Advice backhor for 2650

/ backhor for 2650 #1  

gravelman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2650
gravelman here...i have a Kubota 2650 with cab...id like to put a backhoe on it.. im also wondering who has the easiest to install and remove without alot of hassle. I know Kubota has their own but wondering if there are other model backhoes that would fit. thanks

/ backhor for 2650 #2  
woods come to mind as 3rd party backhoe. i would advise getting a "subframe" with backhoe.

with you having a cabbed tractor. and now wanting a backhoe. you are going to be doing a lot of walking between seat of tractor to seat of backhoe. and i do mean a lot of walking.
and you might consider a mini ex (mini excavator) though much more costly, or selling current tractor and getting a TLB (tractor loader backhoe) were backhoe comes off and gives access to a 3pt hitch, and also has a cab, were you pull a lever and do a 180 in seat to gain access to the backhoe controls. the other option is simply saving up jobs on property and then renting a excavator / mini excavator. and getting what you can do.

backhoes are rather expensive add-on. while i find usage for backhoe all the time. some folks can not justify it and even then simplier and easier to rent a much larger excavator as needed / when needed. vs having a backhoe around all the time.

you might find a used "ditch witch" used for putting in pipe/hose/electrical/gas/water lines in. generally a chain saw like device on one end, and a backhoe on opposite end.

you might also find a trailered backhoe.

skidsteer also have backhoe attachments as well.

due to overall cost of a backhoe being added to a tractor. if you can purchase tractor and backhoe, and FEL (front end loader) all on same reciept you may find a larger discount. vs trying to buy stuff seperatly.

/ backhor for 2650
excellent advice...thanks very much

/ backhor for 2650 #4  
I have owned a tractor + backhoe attachment for more than 10 years. While most of the hours on the tractor did not involve the backhoe, when we did use it, it has been an excellent tool. Looking back, I definitely got my money's worth out of it, and for my situation, it was the most practical and cost-effective way to get my work done. That's not to say other equipment choices won't be better in other situations, but for me, it really did the job well.

So, when does an add-on backhoe make sense vs. say, a mini-ex or a true TLB? I'd say over 1,400 hours of tractor operation we have maybe 300 hours of BH time, spread over all 14 years. If I had to rent something for that many hours, it would have cost as much as the BH, and the convenience of having my own equipment handy whenever needed was worth it to me. Sure, I could have bought a mini-ex, but then I'd have to also invest in a bigger truck and trailer to haul it to the places a mile or two down the road that my tractor could easily drive to on its own. One of the small construction grade TLB's would have been workable, but a) it cost more and b) it was optimized for digging work, which was less than 1/4 of the hours of use. So, contrary to what some folks say here on TBN, there is a useful place for an add-on backhoe. Not all the time, but for many folks, it does make sense.

Was the "changing seats between tractor and backhoe" thing a problem? Well, yes, but not as much as you might think. Maybe it's just me, but I was on and off the BH anyways with my projects, checking my work etc. And, the times I've used a mini or a true TLB, I was still on and off the machine quite a bit, too.

I don't know anything about what you expect to do with a backhoe, but if you do decide it makes sense for your needs, here are some suggestions.
1. Size and weight matters. The smaller the backhoe, the more you have to re-position. Your tractor would handle a 7 ft. hoe, I think, and that would need to be moved around a lot for extracting decent sized stumps, for example.
2. A subframe mounted backhoe is more capable and a better mounting arrangement for the tractor.
3. The backhoes offered by the tractor manufacturer are specifically designed for the particular model of tractor and can have some advantages in the way they fit to the tractor vs. the non-OEM backhoes that are a more generic design. Not a knock on the non-OEM backhoes... there are some excellent ones available. May or may not save money, but remember, you usually get what you pay for.

Excuse long-windedness. I hope something here might be useful.

/ backhor for 2650
this has been VERY VERY helpful and i appreciate it. IM reassessing my actual need for it... i almost think i could make a list of backhoe jobs and when ready , rent one for a weekend... save the $$$$

/ backhor for 2650 #6  
I think like Grandad. Depends on what you need to do and how often. I have a tractor because we have horses. I have one maybe two relatively quick jobs I want to do with a hoe. So for me buying a hoe for the tractor would not make sense. However I can see where it would if you have the jobs to do with it.

There is of course, also the convenience factor. Even if you could save up a few jobs to make renting the mini-ex worthwhile do you really want to do that? Sometimes you just need to get stuff done.

/ backhor for 2650
yes, i can wait...that is what retirement is all about...do it whenever....