Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #1  

KyleB83

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 410C Gehl 303 Mini, Bobcat T650, Kioti CK 35, Komatsu D53-16
On our JD 410C backhoe, we had to have a starter rebuilt.. I installed it, fired up the machine, and about 3 minutes later there was smoke pouring out of the battery box and the starter.

Took that fresh rebuild back and they rebuilt the solenoid, and I replaced both batteries and the cable, but now when I let off the key, the starter stays engaged.

Do I have ANOTHER bad solenoid? or possibly a crossed wire when it was rebuilt.. maybe crossed wires both times?

I am scratching my head at this and need to get the backhoe back up and running.

I did replace the starter relay that is mounted on the firewall just above the starter as well

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #2  
On our JD 410C backhoe, we had to have a starter rebuilt.. I installed it, fired up the machine, and about 3 minutes later there was smoke pouring out of the battery box and the starter.

Took that fresh rebuild back and they rebuilt the solenoid, and I replaced both batteries and the cable, but now when I let off the key, the starter stays engaged.

Do I have ANOTHER bad solenoid? or possibly a crossed wire when it was rebuilt.. maybe crossed wires both times?

I am scratching my head at this and need to get the backhoe back up and running.

I did replace the starter relay that is mounted on the firewall just above the starter as well

I would take the starter back to the people that rebuilt it and have them test it or maybe take it to a different reputable shop to test. If it passes then it's time to bring out the test meter and check that power is getting to and then also turning off at the appropriate terminals during the start cycle. That would include the ignition switch and starter relay.

That's how I would start the elimination process.

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C
I only get 12v through the small wire that goes to the solenoid when the key is in the start position. I lose 12v when you release it to the run position

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #4  
I only get 12v through the small wire that goes to the solenoid when the key is in the start position. I lose 12v when you release it to the run position

That sounds about right. I would then suspect the starter solenoid is faulty or the pinion is not retracting. Either way it sounds like you are back to dealing with a faulty starter.

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #5  
I agree faulty starter

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C
took the starter back off and to the place that rebuilt it.. tested great so they pulled it totally apart and everything inside still looks brand new. I am thinking that either my ignition switch may have an intermittent failure since sometimes the tractor will fire up beautifully and run.. or I suspect maybe a bad alternator that has an internal short and is back feeding through the power wire to turn it on.

If I could find the shop manual we bought a few years ago this would be alot easier to troubleshoot. I can't really throw the money at buying another one right now though while I know I am about to be buying parts.

I am going to break out my meter tomorrow and see if I can figure something out. Its a bad deal though when I am testing wires that I am not 100% sure where they go or where they come from lol

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #7  
It's possible there's faulty starter relay that could be at fault.

/ Bad starter/solenoid? Or electrical gremlin? JD410C #8  
took the starter back off and to the place that rebuilt it.. tested great so they pulled it totally apart and everything inside still looks brand new. I am thinking that either my ignition switch may have an intermittent failure since sometimes the tractor will fire up beautifully and run.. or I suspect maybe a bad alternator that has an internal short and is back feeding through the power wire to turn it on.

If I could find the shop manual we bought a few years ago this would be alot easier to troubleshoot. I can't really throw the money at buying another one right now though while I know I am about to be buying parts.

I am going to break out my meter tomorrow and see if I can figure something out. Its a bad deal though when I am testing wires that I am not 100% sure where they go or where they come from lol

That is very frustrating for sure!! Does the wire splice going to the alternator look like a factory connection?

Please keep us posted as to what you find with further meter testing.