Bad things hit while bush hogging?

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #51  
I have hit some rocks and and small pieces of branches, just noise, then I hit a larger rock, it bent one of the blades. I had to get it fixed, as I couldn't find a replacement. I try to walk the area, but some things just hide. They say the blade tips run at about 10000rpm lots of momentum, hard to get that stopped. I did cut off the top of our sewer drainout pipe hidden in the weeds, never even fased the mower.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #52  
Cutting torch and a pair of large pliers or vice grips and a lot of elbow grease. Or go buy a new one :D

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #53  
Hit a 2 gallon metal hand sprayer that was laying in some brush and never saw it...Have to say, it made the biggest racket under the bush hog of anything I've ever hit that didnt end up breaking the shear pin. Needless to say, it's pretty useless now

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #54  
They say the blade tips run at about 10000rpm lots of momentum, hard to get that stopped. quote]

A 6' mower on a 540 rpm pto with a 1/1.47 - 1/1.97 gear box can swing blades at 15-30K FPM. Even 15000 fpm is 170 MPH. What major league pitcher wouldn't like to throw 170 MPH. :eek:
My worst has been backing over a beaver stump which knocked a blade off . Some serious shaking until it stopped. Fortunately the old Ford did not have live power so it stopped quickly. MikeD74T

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #55  
I have had good luck using a torch, vise grips, and a small prybar. One of our operators usualy hits something similar with a batwing flail mower or hydroax once or twice a year. Most guy wire is aluminum and melts pretty quickly.

Ryan.

Thanks for the suggestions!
The aluminum cable you mentioned is actually the conductor cable, and probably has a single wire of steel in the middle, depending on the lenghts it was designed to span. This particular cable is 3/8 "Utility grade" which consists of 6 wires stranded around a center, usually with wire sizes of .120 diameter. The cable has a tensile strenght of about 15,000 and bends a lot easier than it's Hight Strength counterparts. I worked for a company that manufactured it for 15 years, so I recognized it immediately.
I hooked a comalong to an end and started pulling, after torching a few easy to reach places. I spent about 3 hours on it, and have about half of it removed. Rain delayed my progress, so I will finish it later.
David from jax

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #56  
The power company replaced the power poles along that side of the street, and I found the 3/8" guywire that they accidently left. (Surely they wouldn't have thrown it into the bushes on purpose, it HAD TO have fallen there and missed when they cleaned up)

Oh HECK NO...DUKE POWER throws all kinds of stuff in the woods at my NC place, lots of guy wire and even brand new splices. The trees take out the power lines to the house near me all the time. Do they pick up the broken wire they cut out? NO they just chuck it in the woods. Recently they planted a new pole for a new house and had to cut a tree. What did they do with the wood they cut? Well they threw it in the ditch to block it up during the next hard rain.
I'm gonna catch them one day in the act and it won't be pretty.

/ Bad things hit while bush hogging? #57  
Well, I wasn't using a bush hog, but I ripped up a sewer pipe with my box blade once. The worst part was I had to fix it :eek: