Ballast weight for J2023

/ Ballast weight for J2023 #1  

Blstr88

Silver Member
Tractor
J2023H
Long story short, I picked up a cement 3 point weight from someone who makes/sells them locally. I bought the 300 lb weight from him but he also has 500 lb weights and said if I'm not happy with it I can come back and swap to a 500 for a few bucks more.

What weights do you guys run on your similar sized machines? My thinking on the 300 lb was I've been using it for a while with NO weight so 300 is better than nothing...and I figured the slightly smaller weight hanging off the machine would be handier in my tight spots, but is 300 lb enough? I don't do a ton of heavy bucket work but when I do I NEED to be in 4wd or I won't go anywhere...I was hoping a 3 point weight would allow me to do more in 2wd.

IMG_5031.JPG

/ Ballast weight for J2023 #2  
I’ve always believed the more weight in the rear the better, But thats going to depend on your tractors weight capacity. I would recommend getting your tires filled with rimgaurd as well. That will add a lot of weight without taking away your 3pt.

/ Ballast weight for J2023 #3  
You will want more if you are nearing capacity on the lift. Somewhere on TBN I posted a guestimate on weight , 6 something? I wanted it closer to the backhoe weight. box rear.jpg box top.jpg

/ Ballast weight for J2023
Thanks for replies. Yeah I think I'll take a ride back and swap out for the 500. I lifted up a big stump today to load into my truck and I could feel it was juuuuust enough weight on the back to keep the tires down. I think 500 lbs will be perfect.