Ballast weight......UGHHHH...HEAVY

/ Ballast weight......UGHHHH...HEAVY #11  
I put chains running from the lift arm bolts up to a pin in one of the top link holes so the hydraulics are not always working.

/ Ballast weight......UGHHHH...HEAVY #12  
The hydraulics are not doing anything with the 3 point unless you are moving the lever. Otherwise, the lift ram is sealed and the fluid inside is holding the 3 point up. The pump will not wear out from having a heavy weight on the back. You could theoretically blow a lift cylinder seal, but that is unlikely as long as you are not bouncing a weight larger than your max lift on the 3 point.

Aaron Z

/ Ballast weight......UGHHHH...HEAVY #13  
Something to be aware of that I don't fully understand but someone here, Soundguy?, can explain, I'm sure:

I build a barrel just like yours. The draft arm pins are centered in the barrel such that it's balanced & little to no weight on the toplink most of the time. Somehow I got into draft mode & the toplink draft valve lifted the arms until my toplink had a 90 degree bend? The arms would not go down until I drove out the toplink pin & relieved the pressure. I built a pipe toplink with a 90 degree bend to provide clearance & never had a reoccurance, have since traded tractors. :confused: MikeD74t

BTW: when carrying that type of load, I run the chain behind the bucket to carry the weight closer to the tractor. Easier on the rig overall.