Batteries

/ Batteries #11  
Brad,

<font color=blue>"question for the 790 owners. The 2 stage clutch seems to have a VERY narrow band, near the top, where the transmission shifts smoothly" </font color=blue>

It does sound familar. Do you know what it is?

Buck

/ Batteries
Haven't noticed the two stage clutch issue on my JD790, most of the time I end up pushing the clutch most of its travel anyway (don't have a bush hog where I would need the 2nd stage to keep it turning). Since I started this thread, I will close it out. Took the old positive battery cable to the dealer Saturday, he gave me a new one under warrenty and they haven't beefed up the terminal as of yet. He said that he's stocking them now because of their short life span. Since my warrenty expires in May, If it does it again, I will surely get a 3' cable thats has the traditional "american" heavy end on it.

/ Batteries #13  
it`s probably the battery, load tests ok, open circuit voltage seems ok, check charging voltage it may be slightly high.
Does water in battery look muddy? could be sulfation of plates this will eventually short battery out.some brands are worse than others DELCO seems to last for me with minimal leakage also the additive for forklift batteries helps some.
In 22 years experience working with batteries I find the first time you see leakage(corrosion) at the positive post that is an early warning,REPLACE ME B-4 IT GETS COLD AND BURNS UP THE ALTERNATOR AND STARTER AND SOLENOID/WIRES
And leaving the lights on just once really hurts a battery like running an engine hot,It`s never as good as it was when it was new or It`s not broke it`s just broke in, and last those (discount batteries) even those with 80 month or lifetime warranties are made from lesser materials. Jim

/ Batteries #14  
Ended up replacing my 790 battery. No big deal. But thought I'd update this thread.

Also, had to replace the fanbelt. It broke. These are the only issues I've had so far with the 790.

Buck